Removing Rdent CV shafts

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:22 am

Has any one ever removed a set of Rdent cv shafts from the diff?

These are the type with integrated output shafts so you can't rig up a slide hammer as you would with the standard output shafts. There's no where obvious too use a slide hammer instead.

Thanks.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:46 am

mbell wrote:Has any one ever removed a set of Rdent cv shafts from the diff?

These are the type with integrated output shafts so you can't rig up a slide hammer as you would with the standard output shafts. There's no where obvious too use a slide hammer instead.

Thanks.

I have never done it but I would think ....
1. Try some jacking nuts and bolts between the casing and the shaft flange
2. Make up an adapter to connect a slide hammer to the RD flange bolt holts.

cheers
Rohan

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:07 pm

Have you tried contacting Ray? He's usually quick to reply.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

rgh0 wrote:1. Try some jacking nuts and bolts between the casing and the shaft flange

I need to check in more detail but the rear of the output flange is curved and didn't seem to have a suitable flat section to use to jack against or rig up something for a slide hammer.

rgh0 wrote: 2. Make up an adapter to connect a slide hammer to the RD flange bolt holts.

Looking more into the CV joint construction and fact they common VW style has me thinking removing the joints from the output shafts and connecting a slide hammer is probably the way to go. Will likely need to replace some gaskets as part of that but probably a good idea anyway as least one of the joints has a leak.

Bud English wrote:Have you tried contacting Ray? He's usually quick to reply.

That was my plan B, but wanted to ask here first rather than use Ray's time. As I personally didn't buy the shafts from him and haven't bought the parts for this work from him.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 pm

I assumed you had already removed the CV joint from the output shaft . If you wanted to leave it connected it would be somewhat more challenging

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:31 pm

rgh0 wrote:I assumed you had already removed the CV joint from the output shaft .

Nope, everything is still in there dangling around. I was hoping i wouldn't need to remove the shafts from the diff at all but looks like I have a leaky seal and removing the diff mounting bolts with them fitted is an issue (along with one bolt being very seized). So shafts need to come out.

I think i miss understood your jacking bolts suggestion, with the CV joint removed I could use bolts through the CV bolt holes on the flange to jack it out. Only issue is lack of the right tool for the CV bolts fitted, hopefully not too hard to address.

Thanks!
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: