Clutch problem

PostPost by: jgrover » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:32 pm

HI,

I put a longer clutch pushrod into my Sprint because there was a lot of free travel in the pedal, but is there a danger of over-extending the clutch and damaging the pressure plate or diaphragm?

John G
jgrover
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Probably not. I'm assuming you are referring to the rod going into the master from the pedal. If you
had excessive travel, check that the piston is fully retracted in its bore, ie, right at the opening, and check the clevis on the old pushrod. They get worn and the hole gets turned into an oval. Also assuming the
threaded rod at the slave is adjusted properly.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jgrover » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:21 am

Cheers - yes I did all of this when I replaced seals in both master and slave - I was just looking for a bit more travel. I think I overdid it and pressure plate centre/bearing carrier is now pushing against friction plate hub so I'm about to go out and revert to standard.

That'll teach me!

John G
jgrover
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Careful, you can bend or break the clutch release arm
Eric
ecamiel
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jgrover » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:19 pm

All is good now - by extending the travel the centre of the pressure plate was contacting the centre of the friction plate so pressing the pedal first separated them, then further pressure re-engaged the clutch. I reverted to the original amount of travel and all is just tickety-boo now.

I should have been satisfied with the increase in travel I got from overhauling both cylinders, but I tried to be clever and installed an adjustable push-rod and increased travel by about a half inch.

Ouch - too much!

Thankfully no damage done, although I took the engine out when the clutch would not disengage and installed a new clutch - not strictly necessary since the original was OK-ish, but with new pressure and friction plates and new bearing it is 100% now. And anyway having the engine out meant I discovered any number of jobs that could be easily done, so it all worked out well.

John G
jgrover
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: