Odd Driveshaft conversion

PostPost by: CN Plus2 Gary » Mon May 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Hello,
I am working my way through a fair few jobs (and problems) and am just sorting the rear disks and drive shafts. Does anyone know who previously carried out the modifications in my pictures?
I thought some of you may find it interesting.
My car has not been on the road since the 90’s and the previous owner purchased from Paul Matty (on log book) so they may have done the work.
I am 3 years in and very slowly plodding on!
Gary
Attachments
15203E6E-CEBC-49AD-9DCD-D70C95D9E35B.jpeg and
CN Plus2 Gary
New-tral

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Mon May 18, 2020 9:09 pm

I don't think that is modified - it looks like a standard anti-flail driveshaft. The inner and outer parts of the final drive should have a bar that goes through the middle of the doughnuts into the tube. Then if the doughnut fails the driveshaft is held (roughly) in line.
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Craig Elliott wrote:I don't think that is modified - it looks like a standard anti-flail driveshaft.

+1 :D
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CN Plus2 Gary » Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks Craig,
Sorry, just a bit new and uneducated on the variations.
Had never noticed them reading and researching upgrades and repairs.
Thanks
Gary
CN Plus2 Gary
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:18 am

Hi Gary - there is not such thing as a dumb question about all the many and varied and undocumented Lotus variations. Thats what keeps this site such an interesting place and generates lots of debate :lol:
Welcome and hope your making good progress sorting out your Plus 2

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Tue May 19, 2020 3:00 pm

And of course the anti flail driveshafts aren't listed or illustrated in the parts list. Fitted in the early 70s when rotoflex failures started to be a problem.
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CN Plus2 Gary » Tue May 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks for the understanding everyone.
Currently working on nightmare rear caliper issues ( I did know I was purchasing a can of worms). One seized piston, one broken bleed nipple and one badly drilled nipple. My glass is half full and all will be perfect.
I think!
Thanks
Gary
CN Plus2 Gary
New-tral

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Some diff output shafts also had a length of steel about 1/2" dia and a couple of inches long welded into the centre of the three arms on the shaft to try to protect the shaft flailing around if the rubber coupling failed. Maybe designed to fit into the tube shown in the picture above? My car had the pins on the diff output shafts but no tubes on the shaft as in the picture above. All gone now, CV conversion fitted!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 am

Bigbaldybloke wrote:Some diff output shafts also had a length of steel about 1/2" dia and a couple of inches long welded into the centre of the three arms on the shaft to try to protect the shaft flailing around if the rubber coupling failed. Maybe designed to fit into the tube shown in the picture above? My car had the pins on the diff output shafts but no tubes on the shaft as in the picture above. All gone now, CV conversion fitted!

Yes the pins in the centre of the donut arms from diff and hub matched and went into the tubes on the centre of shaft arm to try to stop the flailing when a donut failed. Unfortunately the pins were not strong enough and sheared off when a dontut failed. (been there done that :( ) thats what prompted me into CV's on my PLus 2 more around 35 years ago now. I noticed yesterday that i still have the old plus 2 half shafts in my collection of spares just in case the next owner in about another 20 years is an originality fanatic and wants to restore the donuts :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 am

Yep, I have a pair of the shafts in a corner of the garage complete with donuts still attached for the same reason.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: