Speedo angle drive questions.

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Great idea Nick. I can see taking it further and providing some sort of 'mechanical' attachment as well.
Maybe some small screws. I would think the epoxy bond would break loose with the twisting and turning of trying to get the bearing piece out.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrisawyer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:43 pm

Wow! Thank you all for the helpful ideas. This one little area has caused me more angst than probably it was worth, but the constant little puddles have been driving me nuts. Especially since it didn't seem to leak pre-restoration. Now, on to the other myriad things I have to do to get it back on the road...

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Chris
chrisawyer
New-tral

PostPost by: joe7 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Just got done with the leak from the speedo right angle (ra) drive on my 7. What I found was the the leak appears to originate between the adapter and the ra drive faces. If you notice the "nut" on the ra moves rather freely up and down as there is no seal. As such any oil leaking between the 2 faces will run out the bottom of the ra "nut" and down the "neck" of the ra drive. So I used the reliable aviation gasket sealer putting a light coat on the 2 faces and enough inside the "nut" to have the sealer ooze out the bottom when tightened to the adapter. Yes they will be somewhat "glued" together. Wiped off the excess and dissembled it make sure none of the sealer got into the drive. I'm hoping this works as I haven't been able to test drive to find out.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: