3.9 diff

PostPost by: TBG » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Better not mention 3:1 diff at this point! Running for cover!! D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:49 pm

I originally did lots of longish motorway or dual carriageway journeys in my Plus 2 with a lightly modified big valve engine. I changed to the 3.55 diff and found the car more pleasant at motorway speeds on 175/70 x 13 tyres. I didn’t notice a real drop off in acceleration in normal road use, might be different if I did track days, but I don’t. I’m fully rebuilding the car now and have no plans to refit the original diff. I have the standard gearbox.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:51 pm

Hi Guys

I was just stripping my +2 (ahead of a chassis change) which I bought as a bit of a project and have yet to drive, and I have discovered that it has a 3.9 diff. This is mated to a type 9 gearbox with repositioned gear lever.

Is this combination going to be OK for road use, or am i going to have to source a higher geared diff? Its an ex-race car.

Anyone have experience of this combo?

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi Berni

Don't know much about the Type 9 gearbox but I assume it's 5 Speed with a direct forth gear same as the Lotus S130/5.

The problem with the 5 speed Plus 2, if you want to call it that, is that even with the std 3.77 diff it's very high geared. 6500 revs/min forth gear will take you to 120 mph and fifth a whopping 150 mph (theoretical of course). Now, although the Big Valve twin cam appears to be very flexible, it is after all, still a small capacity highly tuned unit and with peak torque around 5500 revs/min, so it really need around 30000 revs/min before it gets into it's stride. That means that anything below 70 mph in top gear and the engines torque is really starting to fall away.

So, In my opinion, a 3.9 diff should be fine (in fact I've been thinking a 4.2 might be ideal), the engine will rev a bit more but then that's what it's supposed to.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: