Ford Type 9 gearbox

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Has anyone fitted a Ford type 9 five speed gearbox in a +2. I am currently doing a complete rebuild of a 4 speed S130 and am pondering g/b options.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:41 am

Fitted one to mine, I changed 1st gear ratio as it's very low on the standard box. Now the ratio's are just about the same as the 4 speed but with 0.82 5th.
Not a dead easy job though, I guess moving the lever position is the real problem if you d I y? Can be done but it's tricky. I used an adaptor plate between the box and original bell housing then made up a concentric clutch actuator assembly using a Vauxhall Astra slave cylinder. I had an issue with the speedo drive as there was just not the room for the 90 degree elbow in the chassis, ended up buying a new one and shortening it to give clearance! Propshaft was just a matter of changing the yoke and a rebalance.
There is a chap, Alan Voigt who does a ready to fit type 9 with his own rear case and repositioned lever for an easy way to go?
I find the shift feel pretty good although a little heavier than the 4 speed, I had to fit an aftermarket lever and a short shift kit to get the thing right as the type 9 throw was just too long! The type 9 also gives you the spring bias to the 3rd-4th gate which older cars don't have, I quite like that as I find it easy to forget where you are if not thinking about the shift..

The T5 swap thread looks interesting although it's a bigger box I think? Certainly close in places, I hope it does not rattle on the chassis when the drive train shakes about on starting etc? There is also a Lotus 5 speed on ebay for ?1k...
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:07 am

Many thanks for the info. I did a type 9 conversion on a westfield several years ago and was very pleased with the results. The Alan Voight box sounds promising.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:36 am

Donels wrote:The Alan Voight box sounds promising.

Make sure you are sitting down when you get the price then :shock:
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:39 am

Alan Voights and his son Mark sometimes come to our Lanc`s Club Lotus meetings.
He did a differential rebuild for me quickly and at a fair price.
I looked at the 5 speed conversion while I in his workshop and was quite impressed.
It is a very comprehensive kit.
New bell housing, clutch parts, concentric release cylinder. tail shaft housing and all the screws you may need as well as the gearbox.
It is a bit pricy for me, but I believe there is a waiting list.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: