Clutch line - help please!

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Hello All,
I just got round to fitting a new braided clutch line from Sue Miller. This replaces the original 2 copper pipes and intermediate flexible pipe and seems a better solution going directly from master to slave cylinder. However, the connectors that screw into both cylinders have a shorter thread that is screwed fully in before there is any contact at the sealing end. Am I right in assuming that I should simply use the copper crush washers at this joint? (two washers were supplied). I hesitate becasue the washers seem slightly big and it would be easy to tighten without them being central, but maybe this is normal? I hope this description makes sense....
Thanks in advance
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Doesn't sound like the right fitting to me.

I feel sure that it should 'ground' in the bottom of the female fitting forming a metal to metal seal there.

Those brass fittings come in different lengths.

http://www.automec.co.uk/collections/br ... -fittings##
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I assume that Sue Miller sent a kit that includes adapters and crush washers for the master and slave cylinders and a preassembled flex hose with swivel fittings at each end. If so, there is no reason not to use the supplied fittings and crush washers in the master and slave cylinders. The cylinders are designed for sealing at either the conical feature at the bottom of the tapped hole or at the top by using the crush washers. Fitting the Sue Miller kit as supplied is no different from the manner in which brake flex lines are attached to calipers with banjo adapters. The crush washers need to be a bit loose on the adapter fittings because the ID is reduced and the OD is expanded as the washer crushes as we all learned from M. Poisson. I have used short-thread adapters with crush washers on the clutch master and slave cylinders on my +2 for many years with no problems.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Russ, I'll do as you suggest.
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: