Clutch Assembly

PostPost by: Wevster » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Happy New Year, and time to mate up engine to gearbox, checkout the photos does this look ok? Seems like a lot of travel on the clutch fork, nearer the end of the slave pushrod when bolted up. Have I missed something?
Any advice appreciated.
Kev.
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi,
Normally you run either a pressure plate with a 3 cornered platen and a flat faced bearing or a pressure plate like you have and a bevel trust bearing, if this is a 4 speed setup. So looks like wrong pressure plate for your fork setup.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:39 pm

This is the original clutch cover plate that came off the car (5speed) with a new clutch and relase bearing. The bearing is slightly different than original, slightly flatter., but same thickness. Came from SJ Sportscars as a 5 speed.
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Never played with a 5-speed, but also think that you have the wrong release bearing for that pressure plate. A bevelled release bearing will make things slightly better, but not by much.

Is the release bearing fully onto the slightly raised (thicker) section of the top hat shaped holder ?. Sometimes needs a little to to get it fully home.

Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:04 pm

You might be right regards bearing as last one was bevelled, it is fully pressed on the carrier ok. Even still as the same thickness it would still have the same amount of travel which seems a lot .
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:29 pm

The release bearing on my 5speed is identical to the one shown in your hand,
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Not a lot of difference, new ones slightly wider and flatter. I'll speak to SJ Sportscars in the morning, and see what they say.
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:10 pm

What do people think about clutch plate cover, slight wear to fingers, ok or needs replacing?
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Kev,
I had a similar situation to yours where incompatible parts had been fitted. I made a spacer to put the replacement round nose bearing in the correct position. It needs moving closer to the pressure plate because you do not have the triangular plate mounted on the fingers.
In my case the major clutch parts were as new and the ford bearing was cheap.
If you search for :- clutch release mechanism what's missing please. in the search box at the top, you should go straight to it.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks Eric
I've checked out your older thread, and I think you right, I'll change the bearing to the round faced type, with regards the carrier I haven't a lathe or skill to make one, I see various carriers on different web sites, not cheap ?40/50, can you remember the length when you made yours?
Cheers
Kev.
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:31 am

Kev,
I measured it up from the bellhousing face and made a drawing. I then turned a spacer/sleeve from plastic tubing to do a trial assembly. This was modified until the clutch fork was in the apparently right position with a little clearance.
This was then copied in steel and pressed onto the carrier.
Should someone in the future fit the correct pressure plate (with the centre piece) my modification could easily be turned off the carrier and the flat face bearing fitted.
The drawing was very rough and I didn't keep it, sorry.
OK, I have the workshop facilities, but I do not know any other way. Are you in a car club? See if you have any friends.
Best of luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:23 am

Kev

Your other option as a temp. fix is to pack out the pivot bolt with a couple of washers...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:06 am

Thanks everyone for advice, I am a club member but live on Guernsey, but if anyone has a 2nd hand carrier that is longer I would be interested. Interestingly this setup did work before abate with the pushrod fully extended. I'll see what I can find and keep you posted.

Cheers
Kev
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:46 am

Wevster wrote:What do people think about clutch plate cover, slight wear to fingers, ok or needs replacing?

I've seen a lot worse wear.
The cost to a new pressure plate is small compared to the grief of taking an engine out later, and the fingers can loose springiness or suddenly fail, so I would always replace when changing the driven/friction plate.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:47 am

The 5 speed clutch assembly like you have, had a different length carrier for the thrust bearing longer if I remember correctly - you may have the 4 speed one?

The wear on the finger is not abnormal but I would check to make sure the new bearing with the different face profile matches up ok to the fingers worn by the old bearing profile.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: