PLS help-a 2min job if yr elan is close: w. rotoflex thanks!

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 pm

PLEASE put yr baby (sorry) elan in to 1st gear and measure the "PLAY" within the drive train (with playfree doughnuts): mine has 30mm ---- what's yours???? ------------------------------ i know it's not that scientifical BUT as effective as mathematical clearance theory: diff, rubber, gearbox, rotoflex, motor mounts, anything else?) - just move yr jalopy (remember that word????) BACK AND FORTH and put a piece of X on the floor - muchas grazias sandy: alps
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 pm

i'm desperate: so pls have a look. ONE min if you're quick. mine has about 30mm THANKS sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:18 pm

In first gear measured 1 inch, first time 3/4 inch, but the 1 inch was with me putting a bit of a force on the car rearward in the first position and forward in the second position. Measued with a 2x4 against the rear tire, and a second adjacent 2x4 prior moving the car. As you say about two minutes :) . I have driveshafts not doughnuts, but not many miles on the shafts so not worn. If you want a different method let me know.
Cheers,
Jack
And yes I remember the word jalopy, but rather not in reference to the esteemed elan! :D
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:43 am

thanks jack - i guess i'm on the safe side - there's more movement in the front (gearbox- and engine mounts/play) - alpine greetings sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:57 am

Hi Sandy, I have TTR motor mounts so they don't flex much if at all, and the later style trany mount ( the earlier S1/2 trany mount would be more flexible). Most it sounds like comes from the diff. small amount of ring gear clearance and tranny related slack take up.
Cheers,
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: