Bellhousing help

PostPost by: gearbox » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:22 am

Hi All;

I was wondering if anyone can identify a bell housing I picked up on eBay for a Seven project. I think it is from a Cortina Mk2 but not sure. The markings are 3014e with 7505A and about 6.5" deep. Problem I'm trying to figure out is what slave cylinder this bell uses. The hole measures 1.35"d and the standard slave I have (PAS 43) that I use for my Elans measures 1.1"d. This slave is supposed to be standard for Anglia, Cortina Mk1 and 2, and Elan bells. Any 105e Gurus out there? Thanks Allan
Attachments
b.jpg and
c.jpg and
a.jpg and
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 am

Hi, I also think this is likely from a Cortina Mk2. I cannot confirm the casting numbers as my bell housing was fitted to my series 3 Lotus Seven and the back of the starter housing was cut away from new by Lotus.
The slave cylinder would be to suit and a few years ago it was harder to find than a 105e part and consequently quite a bit more expensive. In fact I have seen new ones exchange hands for more than ?100!
I have inter changed this style of bell housing with the 105e and will point out some potential problems.
The cylinder housing is flush with the front face and the 105e version is back an inch or so. Also the clutch release arm is different and the thrust bearing and carrier is different. The pivot point for the release arm is also in a slightly different position and its method of pivoting is different. Also the clutch pressure plate is different if using the correct thrust bearing i.e non 105e. On the plus side I have made a spacer/shoulder and successfully fitted the 105e cylinder in the past for a friend in order to use this type of bell housing. He wouldn't pay the price for the correct cylinder!
Good luck with the project.
Lyn..
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks Lyn, now for the hard question, what parts do I need to make this work? I looked at all the Cortina Mk2 and Mexico parts and they look like the same components that are in my 69 Elan SE with the 2000e box, including the smaller bore slave cylinder. What should I be looking for? Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Allan, if you want to use this bell housing with the correct parts you will need a lot of small parts, not to mention a suitable pressure plate. It might be easier to obtain a 105e bell housing if you are more familiar with it and have any of the parts available. I could photograph some but I do not how to post on here. :oops:
If you would like some photo's you could pm me and I will e mail them to you over the weekend?
Regards Lyn...
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Alan,

I'm thinking all 3 rail bellhousings are the same depth and bolt pattern.What will be different is slave cylinder size etc and starter housing specs. I believe this is from a Cortina Mk2 and that will use a large diam slave. per previous discussion here.

What I think will cause you problems w/ this BH is the starter housing. Elans use the 105E BH which is not so deep and there is a tin cup that presses into a large hole there. Every Elan I've ever seen has the side of this tin cup bashed in to provide clearance to the backbone frame.

You should probably do a trial fitting in your chassis and I suppose you could then cut off the offending part of the BH and if you wished, you could weld or screw on a piece of sheet metal over the open area. Good luck.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: casalunge » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Allan

Not knowing what Se7en you have S2, S3 and what lump Pre X Flow or X Flow means what follows may or may not help.

If a RHD pre cross flow there is a good chance the section of your bell housing that covers the starter motor pinion will foul the pedal box. On the pre cross flow engines you want a 105e bell housing casting 105E 7505B and the starter motor pinion cover needs to be removed for it to fit.

Colin
1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1962 Lotus 22 FJ
casalunge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi Roger;

Long time no hear, how are things with you? Is the Lotus collection growing? I'm catching up with two Elans and two Sevens lol. But still a long way to go. I kind of cheated here as I was actually working on my Seven, but didn't get any answers on the USA7's site and always found a deep knowledge base here. I'm working on a very original 1962 Lotus Super Seven with a Cosworth 1340cc and a 105E 977cc non syncro first gearbox.

From what I have been able to piece together, The BH is from a Mk2 Cortina. I think I have found (a picture at least) what slave it took (see pic) which has a larger body than the PAS 43's we use. But still have no clue if the standard Elan fork and throw out bearing can be used. And while the bolt patterns are all the same, the depths are different depending if a a coil pressure plate or diaphragm was used. But I was hoping that someone knew what parts I needed and where to get them.

With all this being said, I'm having difficultly sourcing internal hard parts for the 977cc 105e gearbox, and I have two spare 2000e's sitting in my shop and may just use them instead of trying to keep everything original and dealing with a non snycro first and horrible gear ratios. All I would have to do is to shorten the prop shaft by 2". That option is looking better today lol. Thanks Allan
Attachments
eicyyZ7.jpg and
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:17 pm

casalunge wrote:Allan

Not knowing what Se7en you have S2, S3 and what lump Pre X Flow or X Flow means what follows may or may not help.

If a RHD pre cross flow there is a good chance the section of your bell housing that covers the starter motor pinion will foul the pedal box. On the pre cross flow engines you want a 105e bell housing casting 105E 7505B and the starter motor pinion cover needs to be removed for it to fit.

Colin

Hey Colin;

After all this time I thought you knew what car I had lol. But it is a 1962 Lotus Super Seven S2, RHD, with a Cosworth 1340cc engine and the original gearbox is a 105e 977cc non syncro first. The BH I have doesn't have the starter cut out nor tin cup, and since I normally would use a super starter I will not need them. I think at this point I have to find a good complete Anglia 105e with the non syncro and BH first to keep everything original or just use one of my 2000e and shorten the prop shaft. But will still need to find a suitable BH. But I think that would be a lot easier. Find anymore parts yet? Talk soon, Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: casalunge » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Ah Allan

Its you :-), junk that Bellhousing, you want a 105e housing - I am assuming its a RHD car at that vintage 1962. I'll post you the gearbox parts I have from Boston next week when I'm over.

Best

Colin
1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1962 Lotus 22 FJ
casalunge
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 pm

I have a spare cortina gt engine that came with a pile of stuff with my Elan car purchase, and had a bell housing the same as your picture, so I would assume part of a set. I found in a bin just this week (looking for something else) the clutch fork and bearing holder that I presume went with it.
I had the pressure plate but discarded it only recently(!), the pressure plate did not have the flat faced bit that is on Elans, otherwise looked the same, and the bearing accordingly had a slightly crowned face to bear directly on the pressure spring-plate tines, as opposed to the flat faced bearing of the Elan style.
It is for sure a heavier bell housing than the Elan.
Hope this info. is of some value.
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: