clutch master and slave in australia

PostPost by: dgym » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:47 am

after my brakes pedal went a bit deep to the floor the other day I had a look under the cap to see some very old fluid, I think at least a bleed is in order...but, I also looked under the clutch master cap. and was shocked to see CHUNKS of rubber!
so I'm doing a pre emptive fix before going away for xmas. Last thing you want is your loved ones to be proved correct about your car being unreliable.
I took apart the master and slave and have decided both need replacing rather than rebuilding (deep gouges in the surfaces)
can any aussies tell me a good quick source for a master and slave?
and can anyone tell me the difference between this:

Screen shot 2014-12-01 at 1.39.01 PM.png and

and this:
Screen shot 2014-12-01 at 1.33.44 PM.png and

one is "for a lotus", the other "for a trailer" with quite a price difference. both say AM-03 and both are exactly the same as the one I removed.
Sometimes my cynicism protects me, sometimes it just wastes my time. :?
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:34 am

Personally I wouldn't have any qualms about using a trailer brake cylinder provided it was an exact match dimensionally (ie, reservoir size, piston diameter and 3/8 UNF thread with the right sort of drilling to accept the ?lan sort of flare).

However a quick, permanent solution which will outlive you and the car is a re sleeve in stainless. This will cost between $80 and $100 per cylinder, plus price of seal kit. Two places I've dealt with in Sydney are Burt Bros in villawood and master brake and clutch in Croydon.
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:25 am

BGT in Dandenong can either provide replacements for most brake and clutch compents and can also re-sleeve your current cylinders. Talk to Derry there - he has looked after brake and clutch parts for my Lotus for many years and used to race a Cortina himself.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 am

turns out the bore size of a supercheap auto trailer master cylinder is too large.

I think i'll go the re-sleeve.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: