Gearbox and propshaft connection

PostPost by: zeca » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 am

Hi,

I?m trying to install the engine and gearbox in my S4, but I can?t insert the propshaft into the gearbox. The Extension Housing seal is new, already try with the engine and gearbox combo, gearbox only... removed the right seat to acess the tunel... any help?

thanks
zeca
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 am

Whilst awkward, with someone turning the front pulley (on combo) or gearbox (gbox only) input shaft, it is possible with your hand through the hole (positioning the yoke) to allow engagement. The secret is the turn bit to engage on the splines otherwise you can maul your privates off and get fibre glass rash on your wrist. :cry:

PS don't forget your grease on the seal/yoke shaft.

Mike :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zeca » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 am

already turn the splines but it doesn?t engage....
zeca
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Panda » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:10 am

Hi,
Probably best to remove propshaft and check if it fits easily into housing when removed. If ok, keep trying. If not, it may be the wrong seal. Only four bolts to undo!
Alan P
Panda
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Legal small print .....always assuming that it's the correct size seal, the original gearbox output splines and the correct propshaft ...

Firstly, make sure that the splines in the propshaft are clean and without burrs. Maybe prod / clean the splines on end of the gearbox tail housing also.
Then I found that lots of oil around the inner lip of the seal, plenty on both the inside (splines) and outside of the propshaft yoke, then while lying underneath, tapping the other end with a rubber mallet while gently rotating the propshaft encouraged it to start it's way in passed a new seal and onto the splines.

With the body off, this is a one person task. May need two people with the body obscuring access.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Can we assume this was a complete car at one time and this propshaft, trans, etc, came from this car?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zeca » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:42 pm

engine and gearbox were removed by me for rebuild... all major parts are the same except bearings and seals! I will give it a try today, if then don?t engage then I will have t dismount the propshaft!
zeca
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I found it easier to undo the propshaft / pinion coupling and insert the splines with the engine and gearbox in place. Is that what you have?
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi,
You need to take prop off and try in off the car.

I brought a new alloy housing obviously complete with new bearing and I couldn't get mine to fit - ended up replacing bearing.

Just my opinion but you should trial fit everything off the car.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:22 pm

If a new tail shaft bearing has been fitted I suspect it may be that. They maybe supplied undersize and require reaming to fit the tail shaft in

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I had the same problem last year when for the third time reinstalling the engine/gearbox (gearbox leak) I couldn't get the splines to mate. I eventually got a file & made sure that the prop shaft splines had no burrs on them, fitted together fine after that. I don't think it takes much of a burr to stop them from engaging.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: zeca » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:54 am

I have done it finalyy! thank you all!
zeca
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: