Aluminum flywheel insert

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 pm

The engine I have in my car came with an aluminum flywheel. After driving it some the clutch started slipping. So I bought an 8.5 inch clutch and put it in. It then slipped worse. I removed again and found that the clutch that came with the engine was an 8 inch one!

Well I wanted to take the care to a show so I put it back together with the 8.5 inch clutch riding on the 1/4 inch of the steel insert that was not worn and hoped it wouldn't slip too much. It slips too much.

So now I have to find a new steel insert or put the steel flywheel from the other engine in.

The previous owner of the current engine thinks the flywheel may be a tilton, but since he got it 20 years ago he doesn't know for sure.

Anyone have a suggestion for getting a new insert? I really want to get my car on the road this year since it has been way too long as it is. Darn kids keep taking up my time (but they are cute daddies girls).

Rob LaMoreaux
1969 Elan S4 DHC in the garage with the wife's 1972 Alfa Berlina hot rod for way too long.
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 am

I'd be surprised if it was the flywheel, likely culprit is the pressure plate assembly being too weak, or some preload on the fork not allowing full engagement. If the surface that the clutch friction material is on the same level/plane as the mounting area around it for the pressure plate, and clean, then it would point to another issue.

HTH
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 am

Check the Tilton website for the drawing for your clutch/flywheel combo. Some Tilton and AP clutches require a raised 1/8" step in the flywheel surface under the clutch disc. Without the step the spring is not properly loaded. You might need a thicker insert. The disc also has a wear limit.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 am

Hi Rob
Chequered Flag Racing make an alloy flywheel with insert these days for an Elan. The insert is probably different in detail to yours but they should be able to help with someone who could machine up your insert. See the link below

http://www.chequeredflagracing.net/LOTU ... S_A229.php

Alternatively any decent machine shop should be able to make up an insert from your sample. If I was doing it I would probably just take it to my brake and clutch place ( BGT here in Melbourne) and I am sure they could duplicate it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 pm

I guess I wasn't clear. The original 8" clutch wore the steel insert leaving a ridge around the outside. The new 8.5" clutch is riding on the ridge and therefore not able to transfer much torque. All that needs to be replaced is the steel insert ( I already changed the pressure plate).

Rohan

I saw the Chequered Flag flywheel and it looks nice, but I don't want to spend that much if I can help it. I will pull the insert and see who can make me one. I was hoping someone like Chequered had an insert on the shelf, but they don't list anything about replacement inserts. I may ask them anyway once I get the insert out.

Now to pull the engine again. I'm not looking forward to that.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: