Limited Slip Diff type?

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm looking to purchase an LSD for my S4.

Which type do I need - I see Salisbury axle mentioned regularly in the Forums, but could do with confirmation please?

Or is it an English Axle type that fits?

Answers great fully received.

Regards,

Phil.

Tel; 07745514123
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 pm

For a long time I have had a Quaife "progressive" LSD, fitted into the factory casing etc (that's with uprated diff output shafts & solid drive shafts - sliding type)

Makes a big difference to a track / competition car by reducing oversteer & improving traction when accelerating hard out of corners (especially in the wet) Not cheap, but really does work.

Not sure that you'd need one on a road car?

You have to remember to tell the tester at MOT time!

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the reply, but can you throw any light on the suitability of the 'Salisbury axle type', being suitable or not?
As there seems to be different versions?
I guess what I'm saying is; which type of final drive did the Elan employ?
Obviously a Ford unit, but was this out of a Salisbury or English Axle?

Thanks,
Phil
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:07 pm

The standard Elan diff unit is based on the the Ford English axle set up.

Are you - or me - getting confused perhaps with the LSD types?

The Salisbury LSD is a plate type unit that locks the diff when one of the wheels starts to spin, whereas the Quaife LSD is a progressive / geared type, & I would have thought that the Quaife type is far more suited to the basic handling characteristics of the Elan?

I thought that the plate type LSD was more suited to a heavier, less naturally nimble, type of car, but also doesn't it depend on what you want to use the car for? Plate type LSD's are more usually fitted to "classic" type rally cars.

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm

I have fitted a Quaife type ATB (which stands for automatic torque biasing i think) to an Elan Sprint, which is superb for road and fast track use. It is fit and forget - use same diff oils as normal and the car drives completely normally, but eliminates wheel spin most of the time. If you've got the money, I'd recommend it for a road car.

I have a Salisbury type (with plates) fitted to my race car which is a 26R replica. This transforms the car and let's you power slide the back around but is more aggressive (you know you have it for sure) . It also requires different diff oil and a bit more regular servicing.

Both types are for an "English" axle as others have said and all diffs for all Elans are the same except for the ratios.

Hope that helps

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Gents,

This Forum never fails to provide the depth of knowledge necessary - truly great!

I appreciate all the replies, thank you all for your input.

So, I now understand that the ?lan has an English Axle fitment, and Salisbury or Quaife is the make / type of LSD.

Do any of you know how many splines there are on the standard Lotus Diff?

i.e. 22 no. .? (So that the existing output shafts will still fit?)

Best regards,

Phil.

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 am

Phil,

I am pretty sure I have a 3.77 and maybe even a 3.9 LSD on the shelf, complete in casing and ready to go.

Contact me if interested.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: uglyduck » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 pm

I too have been looking into an LSD for my Lotus, but it is a Lotus 7S4 race car. Due to the odd rear suspension geometry the rear inside wheel lifts considerably in corners. From what I had read, the ATB will not work on this application as it does not lock up so a plate type such as the Tran-x by Quaife is the best option. The plate type can be tailored to suite the application by selecting engagement dog angles, plate material and plate preload. The part I have not determined is what ramp angles would be best for my application since the ramp angles affect locking points and abruptness.
1994 Cateram Supersprint Zetec
2006 Lotus Elise, VF2 supercharged
1970 Lotus 7 S4 race car
1968 Lotus Elan S4 project
1961 Nash Met
uglyduck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm

uglyduck wrote:.....From what I had read, the ATB will not work on this application as it does not lock up so a plate type such as the Tran-x by Quaife is the best option.

Yes you are correct about the Quaife ATB . I ran one in my Caterham 7(Sierra based diff) hillclimb car and it will still allow unwanted spin-up of the inside unweighted wheel on tight corners. I then fitted plate type (Titan) transformed the car. For UK and Northern Europe residents it is worth speaking to Phil Stewart at Road and Race Transmissions in Kent 01959525105 for all Ford based transmissions and LSDs.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: