Clutch Master Cylinders From Other Cars

PostPost by: William2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Their are a few adverts on Ebay for new clutch master cylinders for Ford cars such as the 105E Anglia, etc. The adverts say that the bore size is 5/8" and if the PCD for the mounting holes is 2 1/4" then is their any reason why these shouldn't be ok for an Elan S4?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:09 pm

They will work. They're Girling knock-offs. You can also get Wilwood master cylinders in the same configuration that will bolt right in. I've used those on my Sevens.
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:55 am

Yes, I have an Ebay one fitted to my car and it's visually similar to the OEM one and just a bolt-on job.

The only caution I'd say is to make sure you get the correct bore size. The first one I bought was advertised as a "clutch master cylinder" and looked an exact copy, but when it arrived it was a 0.75" bore.

It was cheap so I didn't worry too much about returning it, probably because the ad didn't specify a bore size and it could have turned into a long debate so I fitted it as a trial. It went on fine, but the larger bore made a noticeable difference to clutch operation which I didn't like, so I later bought another one with the correct bore size.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: