Lotus 5-speed nut and bolt sizes

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:05 am

Salut

I'm still slowly collecting the bits and pieces I'll need for a five-speed swap. I can't get imperial nuts and bolts locally so it would be good if I could get absolutely everything together before starting. So if anyone could help with the nut/bolt sizes for the following, that would be a great help:

- bellhousing to 5-speed gearbox bolt set (not essential but might as well change them)
- 5-speed gearbox bracket to chassis nuts/bolts
- clutch cover to flywheel bolts (same as 4-speed ?)

Merci et @+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:40 am

Vernon
If you can wait a while I'll be lifting my engine and taking the box off in the next couple of weeks I'll draw up a list for you......

Meanwhile

The bellhousing/gearbox bolts should be the same as the four speed,ditto the mounting bracket/chassis and the pressure plate/flywheel...

John :wink:

P.S. If you need a spare pressure plate/flywheel bolt there's on on Fleabay as we speak...and with NO RESERVE...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390716743318? ... 1555.l2649

No Association etc.etc.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:19 am

Salut John

Thanks, that would be very helpful - especially if you can get the bolt sizes for both ends of the bell-housing.

The pressure plate/flywheel bolt is in my watch list. I'll be sniping, as I imagine many will, and I'm fretting over how much I should put as my max snipe - be silly to pay over the odds.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 am

vernon.taylor wrote:The pressure plate/flywheel bolt is in my watch list. I'll be sniping, as I imagine many will, and I'm fretting over how much I should put as my max snipe - be silly to pay over the odds.

Brilliant :D
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:31 pm

:lol:

Very good.. I nearly flipped when I saw it... A full set! Waw!

Alex B ...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

salut Vernon,
for unc/unf bolts, screws ,nuts in France you can try a spares or parts supplier for tractors or even Auto Distribution. They even have unc/unf taps for cleaning out damaged threads

A+ Alan
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Vernon

Missed it in your post but do you still want the bellhousing to gearbox bolt sizes?

anything else?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:23 am

Salut

Alan: thanks, good tip.

John: thanks, to have everything in the same place you sent me this (thank you):

sandwich.JPG and

1. Can you confirm the 5-speed speedo cable (minimum) length, please ?

2. I hope my galvanised chassis has 5-speed gearbox mounting plate holes already - are they usually tapped ? Bolt size ?

3. Any photos and tips of your 5-speed re-install would be appreciated and make a nice complete thread.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Vernon
Just had a look,the speedo cable,mine is already installed,looks like a good fit at 50" (1.3m)
My chassis looks like a galvanized lotus jobbie and the extra holes are there 5/16" UNF and the bolts (4) approx 9/16" same as the 4-speeder.

When I refitted my gearbox I struggled,even though I have a large access hole,juggling the heavy gearbox over the "step" in the opening while trying to align the splines,when I first fitted it , it were the bolts that I screwed in in-situ (about 1/8 turn at a time)...is any job on a Lotus easy/quick/simple?...but worth it.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Salut John

So are you saying that bolting the gearbox to the engine first is possible easier.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Vernon
No,it is difficult in the spine of the chassis connecting the splines or the bolts,whichever way you want to do it I think it would be easier to fit the gearbox on its own then the engine,if the gearbox is connected to the prop-shaft (the difficult bit) then before fixing the mounting plate the gearbox will pull forward a little,making it easier to fit the bell-housing bolts and then when the two are mated together fit the mounting plate bolts.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: