elan sprint modified driveshaft fitting

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:28 am

hi guys, 2 questions for you, i have bought some of the modified drive shafts from sue miller, and i am being told by a number of people, that you do not fit these with the shaft on full droop otherwise it could damage them. my question is, once you have fitted them to the diff and d/shaft ends can you leave them in place without having to compress the springs until you have the chassis back on 4 wheels under load? 2nd question, i also bought new round woodruff keys for the outer driveshafts from sue as well, and the new ones are shorter, and look as though the circumference is smaller as well, is this right? ian.
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 am

Are you referring to the CV jointed shafts that fit between the differential and wheel? They are difficult to fit at full droop. With the car in the air, I used a jack to lift the suspension to get in more 'in line' with the diff.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 pm

hi greg, fitting them is not the problem, as the car is not under load the shafts when fitted will be at a 'increased' droop angle, but i have just been told by a supplier that you need reduced droop s/absorber from ttr, which is exactly what i have, so happy days! ian.
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jaybee » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

I have Sue Millers driveshafts on my +2 and have jacked it up many times and had it on full droop no problems , I have on occasions turned the wheels slowly and no resistance or noise. This is fact! John
Jaybee
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:10 am

John, the Plus 2 does not have the same issue due to the longer shafts.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: