Plus 2 diff housing off center?

PostPost by: reynard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:16 pm

I am wrapping up the final work (I hope) on my Plus 2 and noticed something weird (even for a Lotus). The body is off the frame for paint, and I noticed that the differential housing is offset about two inches to the right when viewed from behind the car. This also has offset that rear end of the driveshaft, and it seems way too close to the frame as it exits the center tunnel. Am I right in my guess that the rear CV axles, being different lengths, that I may have installed them "swapped"? Since the "nose" of the diff housing is off center, the idea of different length final drive axles seems logical.

Thanks

Andy Anderson Fort Worth, Texas
reynard
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 pm

No and it can`t be.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 am

Not a plus 2, but here's how mine sits. I thought it was a bit close to the side too, but i guess it's the nature of a CWP setup to have the pinion shaft off-centre. BTW, both shafts on mine are same length, and i can't see how that would have any bearing.....as the diff lateral location is fixed by the upper mounts.
Attachments
image.jpg and
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 am

Thank you for that photo Robert. I am assembling my first Elan (a Sprint) and having put the diff into my Spyder chassis I thought the same - why does the driveshaft end up off centre? But as you say it has to be like that if you think of the CWP. That's a relief - it's how it's meant to be!

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: reynard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 am

Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply. And thanks for the information and photo. I was confused as the diff bolted up correctly as you mentioned, but that forced the driveshaft off center because of the nose on the diff.

As always, thanks to the members of lotuselan.net.

Next week, paint... and then about a month of reassembly and cursing. Funny how quickly six years flies by...

Andy Anderson
Fort Worth, Texas
reynard
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 am

Hi Andy

When I saw Roberts picture I thought that was my car!! Had exactly the same thoughts myself but it does appear to be the way it is I guess as others say because it is the offset of the diff nose

best of luck with the rebuild

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: