Strange noise from the middle of the car when cornering

PostPost by: Pete Shepherd » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 pm

A while ago while cornering quite hard in my +2 a strange metallic noise made itself known, which sounds a bit like a metal gate opening that needs an oil. The noise hasn't gone away and is happening more an more and I seem to have to corner not so hard for it to happen. It sounds like it is coming from just below and behind (level with the front of the rear seats, give or take a few inches!) where my elbow sits on the central arm rest. I've looked underneath on my dads car lift but there is nothing obvious, could it be hidden, any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Pete
Pete Shepherd
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:13 pm

When cornering the two output shafts of the differential are rotating at different speeds and the internal gears are moving around more than when driving straight, so it might be wear in the diff or more simply that there is insufficient oil in the differential casing. The combined level/filling hole is a big brass nut on the back surface of the diff. You need an oil bottle with a flexible pipe outlet to squirt oil in, but you can check the level by inserting one of your smaller fingers and hooking it downwards inside, if it comes out oil free you need more oil in there.

But I would also check the universal joints on the propshaft. The older ones had grease nipples and might need a squirt of grease or to be replaced.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 am

Sit in the car and get someone to push down on each corner, try gently first and see if you hear the noise inside, then put on the lift and try raising each corner, it may be possible early signs of a shock absorber fault or a suspension joint starting to fail.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: