differential flange

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

When I separated the prop shaft yoke flange from the diff flange I noticed an accumulation of oil. I remember when I assembled the diff flange to the shaft I was instructed to use locktite to act as a sealer to prevent oil from getting out. Apparently it is not working. I reassembled the parts this afternoon with out doing anything about the "leak". Any suggestions or an explanation.

bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm

The oil is seeping along the splines and past the nut.

From memory there is a torque setting for the nut that you use if you have not changed the crush tube or the bearings. so theoretically you could do it in situ.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 pm

I did not think the flange nut had come loose but I did not tighten it.

Are you saying that a leak is a sign of a loose flange retaining nut?

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 pm

No. I'm saying that the nut isn't a seal, so the oil can leak past it.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri May 17, 2013 7:22 am

Bob,

The remedy is much more easily achieved if the diff is on the bench, but it is possible to do, but much more difficult, if it is still in the car.

You need to undo the nut and remove the flange. Obviously drain the diff first! Then degrease, or de oil the splines on the pinion. Do the same on the flange. Then replace the dry flange onto the pinion and squirt a goodly amount of silicone sealant where the pinion exits the flange in the recess that the nut sits. Put some thread locker on the pinion thread and do up the nut.

Hey presto, no more leak. The only problem is judging the amount of torque to put onto the nut. Ideally, you want it done up to a fraction more than it was prior to undoing it. If the diff whines, like my old woman, you have not done it up tight enough.

Good luck with it,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 am

Funny, never ever had one of these leak past the nut.....and I must have had 30 diff centres over the years and swapped flanges heaps of time. Leak past oil seal? Yes (easy fix). But leak via the nut? Never
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:22 am

I've seen it a couple of times but the nut was not very tight probably because the spacer had lost it tension (preload) or the bearings had worn.
Like Leslie I have sealed the splines but with Hermetite....... (lets not have that debate again Leslie) :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 am

According to the WSM - Pinion bearing nut Torque 30-35 lbs. ft.

Obviously different if you use a new crush tube.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: