Loose rotoflex bolt damage

PostPost by: lotocone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 pm

A mechanic friend replaced the rotoflexes with CV axles on someone's Elan and found some interesting damage from just 1 loose rotoflex bolt. The bolt went through a differential stub axle ear. You can see the heavy damage to the bolt and the ear in the pictures below. I wonder how long it took for this amount of wear to occur.

I guess I will be checking my bolts before driving this Spring !

Bob
Attachments
IMG_2025.JPG and
IMG_2029.JPG and
IMG_2028.JPG and
IMG_2027.JPG and
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 pm

That is Scary...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 pm

That must have been very noisy for a very long time. Just turn up the radio!
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:09 am

All I can say is wow. Very fortunate to find it before bad things happened....

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 am

You dont show the damage to the alloy casing the bolt was machining away on. i had a bolt in the same position break many years ago on the Elan and as it backed out of the donut it hits the casing of the diff that retains the diff output shaft bearing. I had much less damage to the bolt as I heard it happen and stopped quickly but still half the alloy housing was around the circlip was gone. Luckily enough casing was still left to hold the circlip in place and the diff has run with the damage for the last 30 years without any issues!!! Just shows Lotus put to much metal in their alloy diff casing and they could have reduced the weight :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:59 pm

rgh0 wrote:You dont show the damage to the alloy casing the bolt was machining away on. i had a bolt in the same position break many years ago on the Elan and as it backed out of the donut it hits the casing of the diff that retains the diff output shaft bearing. I had much less damage to the bolt as I heard it happen and stopped quickly but still half the alloy housing was around the circlip was gone. Luckily enough casing was still left to hold the circlip in place and the diff has run with the damage for the last 30 years without any issues!!! Just shows Lotus put to much metal in their alloy diff casing and they could have reduced the weight :lol:

cheers
Rohan

Surely in that case the bolt was in the wrong way around. I think the service manual says that all the doughnut bolts must have their nuts inwards i.e. on the Diff end of the bolt.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

yeah you are right it must have been the nut end that hit the casing when the bolt broke

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:34 pm

billwill wrote:Surely in that case the bolt was in the wrong way around. I think the service manual says that all the doughnut bolts must have their nuts inwards i.e. on the Diff end of the bolt.

I think that only applies to the outboard doughnut bolts.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:59 pm

oldelanman wrote:
billwill wrote:Surely in that case the bolt was in the wrong way around. I think the service manual says that all the doughnut bolts must have their nuts inwards i.e. on the Diff end of the bolt.

Nope, I think not. I don't have my manual on hand, but there may not even be enough clearance to fit the diff spider bolts in from the diff side.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:20 pm

billwill wrote:
oldelanman wrote:

Nope, I think not. I don't have my manual on hand, but there may not even be enough clearance to fit the diff spider bolts in from the diff side.
Attachments
Rotoflex bolts(a).JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: