Clutch Judder

PostPost by: saljo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi,

Here?s a bit of a head scratcher and maybe someone out there can give me some pointers.

I?ve owned the Elan since new ? so after over 40 years of regular use I?ve got to know it pretty well. We took it to a local classic car meet yesterday (approx 50 miles each way) and on leaving the venue suffered severe clutch judder in first and reverse ? all other gears ok and the pedal felt completely normal. I took the car out again today for a 20 mile drive to have a closer look and all symptoms had disappeared! However much I tried (reversing up hill with differing revs and slippage) I could not reproduce the judder.

I?ve checked the engine/gearbox mounts, clutch clearance and all look ok. All clutch components were renewed around 35,000 miles ago. Both master and slave cylinder seals have been changed recently as well as the drive couplings so I?m completely mystified as I?ve never experienced any apparent mechanical problem curing itself before. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Saljo

1970 Elan Drophead S4 SE
saljo
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Maybe some oil or water got on the disc for whatever reasons. Your driving then 'burned' it off. Just speculating here.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 pm

My guess is soft gearbox mount.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:58 am

Try adding fluid to the clutch reservoir . Mine acts like that when it is low ....Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 am

I'm with Greg - could be oil on the clutch plate. Mine does it sometimes after driving for a while and I do have a leak from the back of the engine somewhere, which I assume is the rear crank seal...

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Sharples » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm

I had a mysterious judder in reverse only. In the end, turned out to be slightly loose bolts on the prop shaft connection to the dif.

Good luck,

John
John Sharples
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: saljo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I have now checked fluid level, diff attachment bolts and gearbox mount and all look fine.

Geg & Robbie's theory that oil is contaminating clutch plate and burning off looks the most likely. If so, it must be the main bearing oil seal weeping aand there is some evidence of oil (very little though) on the bottom of the bell housing joint.

I'll see how things develop before making any major engine out decisions.

Once again thank you for your input.

John M (saljo)
saljo
New-tral

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:57 pm

I had exactly the same on my +2, same symtoms normally after a good hour of driving. I had changed engine mounts , gerabox mount , diff top mounts and was getting worried about the possible oil contamination cause
The problem turned out to be diff tie bar rubber bushes! Easy to change and you can use poly from Sue Miller. Changed the feel of the car completely

Bon Courage!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

what's happened to your muppet Terry? It's head isn't moving anymore.
Amicalement Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:06 am

Alan
Must be your computer , he's head banging away on mine :wink:
Happy New Year

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am

When I read Alan's post Eric had frozen - now he's thawed again!
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: