Gearbox condition

PostPost by: miked » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am

I have gathered a few boxes over the years and was starting to overhaul a good box from the ones I have. I noticed on a few that the roller bearing between the first motion shaft and the main shaft are damaged. The cages broken up! and ground up. Has anybody else seen this?
Another odd thing I found, on a very clean box, was needles on the lay shaft eaten into (lay shaft clean, no signs) and also the bearing surface of the above mentioned roller cage bearing also eaten into with corrosion. The oil layer was clean and no sign of rust (as such). Almost looks like someone has stripped cleaned and rebuilt with old parts. Then sat for years. There are witness marks were needle have sat on the main shaft one. Would I be right in thinking that moisture has caused this in small isolated pockeks. The lay needle are best on the good shaft, they have proper eaten away bits. Not worn but eaten into with the rest of the same needle clean. :shock:

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 am

Mike,

Had exactly the same issue on mine - obtained new needles from Bearing Kits. A known issue I understand. The box was good in all other respects but the proof will be when it's driven for the first time!

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 am

Mike,

That sounds like the hard facing is breaking down, this is what kills most gear boxes.

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Glad it not just me then. I will open up one more at the weekend to see If I can sort another out.

Mike :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: