Transmision Swap?

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Been going to formally introduce myself and S1 26/3754 but have not got around to it yet. In the mean time I've been told that a Borg Warner T5 out of a Chevrolet S10 makes a good swap in an Elan.
I have an opportunity to obtain one and would appreciate any input from the learned group!
Also how does one search the archives for a specific subject because I'm sure this and many more of my questions have already been covered.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

nomad wrote: Also how does one search the archives for a specific subject because I'm sure this and many more of my questions have already been covered Kurt.

Greetings Kurt,

1.0 Start at top right of forum page & enter search term.

2.0 This will take you to next page where you can narrow the search (one, some, or all the forums)
Best to choose "All" to start with as some entries may have been "mis-filed"

Your post, for example, might have been better put in the "Mods Section" :wink:

3.0 By way of example "Borg Warner" gives 19 results as follows:

http://www.lotuselan.net/cgi-bin/search ... oom_sort=0

HIH Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:54 pm

TomR posted some photos of his T5 swap in this topic
elan-f14/transmission-ttr-frame-t15977.html

There is more info on this site and a search of T5 will give you much of it
http://www.lotuselan.net/cgi-bin/search ... oom_sort=0

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Im just finishing a conversion using an Alfa 105 series gearbox. No major mods required and can use ?lan clutch mechanism, speedo angle drive etc. the adapter plate to the ?lan bell housing required a fair bit of engineering and I have to thank forum member NH Hiker from whom I purchased the components for that. The hard part was done already
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks much guys!! I guess I can't look up, never noticed the search box!! :oops:
The Alfa box suggestion looks promising but imagine hard to find here in the states. Am just begining to search though since my elan needs a lot before fitting a transmission.

Thanks again!
Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:01 pm

I'd love to see some pictures of the Alfa box installation and the adaptor, and contact details for the guys who make the adaptor etc

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:24 pm

there are 3 bench photos of Rick's Alpha conversion in this topic.
elan-f14/speed-conversion-t14379-15.html

I didn't get any of Bill's adapter plate that he made.

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:49 am

In the future I'll try to keep querys for 5sp's and such in the "mods" but now I have a generic query about determining what my S1 ratio's are. I was told by the PO that I have a close ratio box. Other than counting revs how can I tell?? Same with the diff??

Thanks in advance,
Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 am

No sooner made this post than I realized my answer was probably already covered in the archives! Not used to such good archives!
I'm enlightened but have not found whether the ratios for an S1 are marked on the outside of the case's. Most likely they are the 2.51 gear box and 3.9 diff which I will ascertain down the road but being able to go by box numbers would be handy.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:37 am

Welcome Kurt.

I don't have the ratio's for your Lotus box to hand, but I am sure someone can help shortly.

There is an excellent spreadsheet made up by David (msd1107) that allows you to examine any box for its 'Figure of Merit' and how the ratio's behave. Definitely recommend downloading it and playing around. He has it posted here with lots of explanation and instructions on how to download it; its a bit involved but really excellent.

elan-f15/updated-spreadsheets-t18445.html

I used the spreadsheet to make a table at various RPM's in all five ratio's of my MT75. Found this handy as my tach was wildly out of adjustment and the speedo needed service and a change in turns per mile (tpm) to match the replacement transmission speedometer gear. I was able to adjust the tach to match calculated RPM's at various GPS measured speeds. Handy info once you know your ratios, or if you know the tach works to determine what they are. Can also use it to evaluate how a transmission swap will work.

Here is another search feature idea you may find handy. If you go to one of David's (or any one else's) posts, click on
the 'Profile' button in the lower left. If you Click on 'Search User's Posts' and you will see a list of all the individual's posts. I mention David particularly as he has contributed to pretty much all the transmission swap threads in the last several years, so it might be an easy way for you to wade through them.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: