Dead speedo

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Salut

Went out for my first real run and had great fun. Of course something had to break and it was the speedo (completely dead) - so don't know if I had the impression I was going faster than I actually was or the opposite!

Anyway, checked the archives a bit - seems the most likely culprit is some small piece of cable/metal in the right-angle drive followed by the cable itself. Is that right?

I suppose if I (first locate) remove the right-angle drive I'll see (immediately) what is wrong?

I also suppose the small bit is straightforward to change after having spent hours and half a can of 3-in-1 to get the right-angle drive out? What about the drive cable itself - how does one change that? Just the inner cable?

For information the gearbox has just been restored - could something have been not done up tight enough? The speedo worked for a while after - maybe a hundred miles or so.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:18 pm

vernon.taylor wrote: Anyway, checked the archives a bit - Vernon

Did you find these threads? HIH...
post80285.html
elan-plus-f13/speedo-speedo-cable-question-t14122.html
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks for the links - found some useful info and have eliminated the speedo itself and cable.

Links said that all the gearbox oil won't pour out when I remove the right angle drive - but can I actually drive the car without losing oil? Obviously I'd tie the dangling speedo cable to something.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Vernon,
If you are going to drive without the angle drive - disconnect it from the adaptor by undoing the knurled nut, do not remove the clamping fork which holds the adaptor, bearing/housing and driven gear in place. Otherwise the whole lot may be pushed out of the gearbox as you drive and lost. The speedo driven gear has a spiral groove along the length of the shaft designed to "wind" the oil back into the gearbox as it turns so you may be lucky and not lose any but I would not like to guarantee that.

Regards,
Attachments
Speedo angle drive 005(a).JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 am

Salut Roger

Thanks for the answer and photo.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Salut

Thank you again Roger and everyone on the forum who freely contribute their help and wisdom.

The sticking-out-square-shaped-spring-drive-thingy had cleanly sheared off and I was able to fish it out easily after removing the adaptor (BTW is there a sealing washer/gasket here normaly?). I found the adaptor easier to replace by loosely fitting the clamping fork first.

I borrowed the angle drive for another car for now, so now I have to see if I can repair the original (I read somewhere here that someone bought the offending part for a ?1) or find a cheap replacement. Ebay has a couple for between ?30 - ?40.

Space for photo when I have the chance:

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:I read somewhere here that someone bought the offending part for a ?1

It was here.......

elan-f14/speedo-cable-t23468.html

.....or you can make up a replacement out of a suitably sized piece of steel (like a nail) filed square - should last for ever but maybe not worth the effort if you can get one for ?1 !

Regards,

EDIT...."BTW is there a sealing washer/gasket here normaly?"
I think that there was a paper gasket between the bearing/housing and the adaptor but not entirely sure - wouldn't hurt to fit one anyway.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Salut les gars

Bought a speedo quill from Caterham - ?3 + ?3 postage. Question now is how do I get the old one out and the new one in? I removed the circlip to remove the knurled collar to see better and tried pulling on the old one but what was left just broke.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:50 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Salut les gars

Bought a speedo quill from Caterham - ?3 + ?3 postage. Question now is how do I get the old one out and the new one in? I removed the circlip to remove the knurled collar to see better and tried pulling on the old one but what was left just broke.

Merci

Vernon

Hi Vernon,
I seem to remember the quill is just a short length of speedo cable - if so you could try screwing a long thin self-tapper into the remaining bit and pull it out with that.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: