Speedo cable

PostPost by: alfert » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:39 pm

My speedo is no longer working. I unhooked the cable from the angle drive with the intent to spin it (counter clockwise??). The cable seemed to be too short to get engaged to the female part of the drive. It only sticks out about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I have an old piece of stock that seemed to need 1/2 in. to mate up. Before I try to remove the drive I would like to know if this is possible. Also why not just loosen/remove the knurled brrass piece and not the whole unit? Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Brian
alfert
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 am

Hi Brian,
The angle drive is removed by undoing the knurled nut, you do not need to remove the driven gear bearing/housing from the gearbox itself. The most likely reason for the speedo not working is failure of the short length of cable between the driven gear in the gearbox and the angle drive unit, not the speedo cable itself. If that is the problem you can replace it with a suitably sized piece of solid steel rod, filed square to fit.

Regards,
Attachments
Speedo angle drive 005.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:42 pm

...commonly referred to as the speedo drive quill and available from Caterham cars for ?1 last time I bought on.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:51 pm

jono wrote:...commonly referred to as the speedo drive quill and available from Caterham cars for ?1 last time I bought on.

Didn't realise it was so readily available and so cheap.......not really worth the effort of making something up then, except that a solid rod will probably never fail again!

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:01 pm

When I had a speedometer failure, I chased my tail for awhile before I discovered the "quill" was stripped in the angle drive. Was not readily noticeable until I turned the quill while holding the speedometer cable and felt the disengagement. A local speedo shop fixed it for a reasonable cost. All is well now.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: