Any advice welcome on fitting cv driveshaft conversion

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi

The Mick Miller drive shafts must have changed as mine do not have studs that I recall and fitted in without any juggling of any sort.
I was not also aware that there was a problem at full droop as my car has been in this position when working below many times.
The rubber boots are fine and no problems have been experienced since they were fitted in 2002.
I am well pleased with them they change the character for the car to the better :wink:
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi chancer.

In reply to your question. The VW drive shafts are hardened and tempered along their complete length. So there was no heat treatment required, as the centre of the shafts had the same Rockwell number as the splined ends. They merely required the splines milling, and although hard, they responded well to carbide cutters.
Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 am

Chris,

Lovely job! - wish I had known you at the time I bought my CV shafts :(

Still struggling with the timing marks by the way, I may be calling on your services as it's got me completely stumped :D

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi All.

My homemade cv drive shafts are now fitted, and there is no suspicion of binding, or lock up on full droop.
A twenty minute drive was full of smiles, no surge, just smooth take up.
Cheers
Chris

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed May 28, 2014 5:27 pm

Salut Chris

If you're not going to make these for us ;-) could you share how to make them, please ?

i.e. the reference of the Passat shafts, your drawing for the adapter plates, length of shaft, maching details, etc.

Merci d'avance

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Vernon
When I did my drive shafts, all the drawings were in my head, and dimensions were taken from the car , or the new CV joints. However, if you give me a few days, I will try to compile the info you require, but for a one off pair of shafts a lot of work is involved, subsequent shafts would of course be quicker and easier. Apart from the machines and tooling the main requirement is enthusiasm and accuracy. Apart from monetary saving the work can be rewarding. I will see what I can do.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri May 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Merci, Chris. What I can't do myself (mostly everything ;-) I might be able to get sorted with a mate.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri May 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Merci, Chris. What I can't do myself (mostly everything ;-) I might be able to get sorted with a mate.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Chris wrote:Hi Vernon
When I did my drive shafts, all the drawings were in my head, and dimensions were taken from the car , or the new CV joints. However, if you give me a few days, I will try to compile the info you require, but for a one off pair of shafts a lot of work is involved, subsequent shafts would of course be quicker and easier. Apart from the machines and tooling the main requirement is enthusiasm and accuracy. Apart from monetary saving the work can be rewarding. I will see what I can do.
Cheers
Chris

Chris

Like you I enjoy the designing and actual making of the things and for a long time have wanted to do my own CV conversion. I have never liked the idea of shortening drive shafts by sleeving and welding but I never thought about machining splines like you have done. What equipment and method did you use as you only mention a lathe and drilling machine?

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Sat May 31, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Vernon, Ian and Arthur.
As you all seem interested in my homemade CV shafts, if you PM me your email addresses, I will send you as much info as I can.
cheers Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Chris wrote:Hi Vernon, Ian and Arthur.
As you all seem interested in my homemade CV shafts, if you PM me your email addresses, I will send you as much info as I can.
cheers Chris

Chris

I seem to be unable to pm you. I have tried twice but it tells me the username is invalid which make no sense to me.

I think my own email is shown in my forum profile, or maybe its my website url. Other than that what is your forum username?

Regards

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Ian and Vernon.
My user name is Chris. However just send me your email address to [email protected]
Cheers Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 am

You should recieve a mail from me as well.

Congratulations on your conversion :D
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:03 pm

A big thankyou to Chris for sending myself and others full d?tails of how he made his shafts.

It might be many years before I get to use the info but use it I will. :D
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: