5 speed gearlever help!

PostPost by: malc_grn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice regarding the 5 speed box gearchange.
I've only had the car a couple of months and it was a non runner and been stored a couple of years, I was told that the gearbox has been rebuilt, and looking at the new bolts I'm sure its been apart recently at least.

Well I got it MOT'd on friday, but the gear selection isn't that great, and talking to some people it maybe down to the gearlever, it feels very sloppy and moves up and down with ease, a couple bits of thin plastic have broken and fallen out near the large nylon nut and the rubber bellows above are split and not doing anything!

I understand that these are no longer avaliable, so was wondering what options I have? does anyone have a good spare they are willing to sell me?
Is there any mods that could help me out?

Thanks for any help offered

Regards
Mal
malc_grn
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Mal

Have a read through this...

elan-f14/gearbox-swop-t21414.html

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hethel_Haus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:27 pm

I just bought a NEW 5-speed gearlever from Paul Matty. It slotted in perfectly and has made a huge difference in shift quality.

FYI - I also tried the used route buying what looked to be an identical replacement off of eBay-UK. It was advertised as being from a Ford RS2000. When it arrived it looked to be a suitable replacement but the OD of the threads seemed to be a few thousandths oversize from the Lotus shifter. I could not get it to thread in. Seems peculiar that something that looks so similar could be so different. Anyway, buying new solved the problem. I doubt I will ever wear out the new one.

Cheers!
Steve
Steve
'73 Elan +2S 130/5 Cabriolet
Hethel_Haus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: malc_grn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Cheers Steve

I'll give Paul Matty a call.
malc_grn
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Mine snapped (years ago) across the circlip groove, largely because the gearchange was heavy. I bought a new replacement (expensive) and then found that it was a standard Ford part and I got a spare from a scrap Cortina (mk3 I think)
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: