arrrgh no clutch

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 am

Clutch pedal goes to the floor

Master Cylinder - empty. Now topped up.
Slave Cylinder dripping so guessing seals are leaking

Any suggestions, do I buy a new slave cylinder and swap over? or can we refurbish?

Either way car is currently imobile, can I fill master cylinder again, bleed and get to a clutch place to do the work?

Thoughts please?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:22 am

If it was me, I would replace the slave cylinder. It's probably fine to just replace the seals but the slaves aren't so expensive. If you are replacing the seals, you run the risk that you strip it down, and still find that there is too much wear and you need to replace the whole cylinder anyway. Certainly if you were paying someone else to do the work, I think you'll find that it is cheaper to get a new cylinder.

If you are thinking of re-filling and bleeding the system just to take it to a garage for the repair, I would think about replacing the cylinder yourself. You will have done most of the work anyway - with an extra 20 minutes you would be able to replace the cylinder and have it finished.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 am

Hi Gordon,
Check first that it's not just a loose pipe union or bleed screw or even the pipe burnt through on the exhaust (if you still have the nylon pipe), if not any of those then filling and bleeding should get it working - at least long enough to get it to a repairer.

As to whether to repair or replace the slave cylinder, it depends if the cylinder bore is OK. If it's not scored then I personally would just fit a new seal, obviously if it is damaged it will have to be replaced but as Paddy says you won't know that until it's stripped down.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:33 am

thanks Roger / Paddy

slave cylinder is out (bit of a bugger with teh extractorsdirectly under it.

definitely the cylinder that is leaking, trickles out even when disconnected.

off to try and get a complete new one tomorrow and then try and remember how to bleed them.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:49 am

Such a catastrophic, sudden failure and a leak even without pressure leads me to believe that the rubber seal has failed in a big way under pressure (ie it's not just worn, there's a chunk out of it) which means the cylinder might be okay. I have a few seal kits I've been squirreling away for the inevitable day.... If you're stuck for parts give me a hoy and we can compare our inner and outer seal diameters

Robert (five dock)
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

Thanks Robert

Now it is out I can't actually see any rubber, there was the rubber over the end with a hole in the middle for the shaft but the unit itself has a metal cylinder inside.

Is the rubber around the metal cylinder forming a seal against teh body of the cylinder I guess? I was going to take it to a brake/clutch guy and see if they can fix/replace but if you think otherwise let me know.
I didn't feel confident pulling the thing apart.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 am

Yep if you prise out the piston, there's a seal that sits in a recess in it.

This page shows the component parts

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... oduct=3521
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:53 am

Robert and all, thanks for all the advice and help.
New seal sorted (thanks to Booker brakes in meadowbank, highly recommended) and clutch back in, bled and adjusted.
Quick drive to collect new hardtop (pics to follow) and will fit rear window shortly
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Gordon,

You may have noticed that the slave is practically wrapped in the exhaust pipes where they make a 90 degree turn. As a result, your exhaust pipes are continuously cooking the slave cylinder. In order to preserve the slave, you may want to consider fashioning some sort of heat shield between the slave and the exhaust. I used a sheet of aluminum. Good luck.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: