Worn clutch release bearing?

PostPost by: Steve G » Tue May 31, 2011 10:29 am

My car has developed a rattling noise associated with the clutch, it has got progressively worse since it started 30 or so road miles ago and now is pretty much constant. It doesn't seem to affect changing gear and will intermittently rattle in neutral too. You can feel the vibration through the clutch pedal when pressing it, about three quarters of the way up the travel. Pressing the clutch pedal just past this point, but without disengaging the clutch makes it stop. When inspecting the bell housing with the engine running, I could clearly see the assembly attached to the clutch release mechanism shaking. My friend who was looking at the car with me thinks the clutch release bearing is worn.

Is a worn clutch release bearing likely to be the cause of the symptoms described?
Can I replace this part by dropping the gearbox (please say yes!)?
Is it safe to drive the car with this without risk to the engine/clutch/gearbox/myself? I ask this because the car is perfectly drivable and I won't be able to fix it before Goodwood this Sunday.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Steve

My opinion is yes,no,yes in that order,sorry.

John :wink:

When you say dropping the gearbox I assume you mean without pulling the engine.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Yes, I know that for certain tasks concerning the clutch /gearbox you can remove the exhaust and cross member, unbolt the gearbox/bell housing from engine and lower it to gain access. I was going to try and do this to replace the flywheel before being advised that not checking the bottom end after my flywheel sheared it's bolts would be a wee bit stupid.

Still, good news about being able to drive it, even if it does sound like a bag of spanners, it would be good to attend one motoring event before removing the engine again. :roll: Right, I'm going off to put my wages in the office swearbox now.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: