The old "While its out what else should I do" post REAR END

PostPost by: SubaruPaul » Mon May 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Other related post here is here:
elan-f14/rear-diff-removal-and-jackstand-placement-t22593.html

Short version - inner rear axle broken - differential unit has been removed and awaiting benchwork. Owner chooses to exchange any seals and if needed bearings , etc .... within the Diff. Unit.

Feel free to cime in with any suggestions as to what you have or would replace during this process. Looking like those rubbers in the wishbone ends should be swapped out. Same for the diff. torsion rods. Upper diff. mounts are recent replacements - covered ! The owner is going for the new CV type axles and tossing the old rubber doughnuts ....

Is it worth the effort to have the prop. shaft taken out and inspected , balanced , ????? Probably fine - but at this age you never know. Well protected up there for sure. All wheels are off - car on jackstands.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers!
SubaruPaul
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue May 24, 2011 6:01 am

Personally I'd take a look at the propshaft as well. As you say it's 99% certain that it will be fine, but given how much hassle it is to get to and the access you now have, well, I'd go for it.

If it's spent 40+yrs without any attention or greasing (often overlooked but still a service item) then it would be a real pain to get everything back together and find a new fault. In fact given the amount of dismantling to get the diff out, I'd probably replace or thoroughly check everything back there, brake lines, h/brake cable & linkage, lotocones, dampers, wheel bearings, etc.

I didn't take my own advice on that, and just having spent the winter putting a CV conversion on I found "new" play in one of the rear hub bearings which I'd not noticed with the doughnuts on. The only good point was that everything was clean and easy to dismantle (again).

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 pm

How recent on the diff mounts and torque rod bushings? I find these things don't last long.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue May 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Might be a good time to check the fuel pipe as well??
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SubaruPaul » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Bump up for more thoughts.....

Diff. will be done soon.

Wishbones coming off for repaint - powdercoating I believe. Chris the owner got all new rubber or urethane bits for everything associated with the diff. mount.

These are going to help make the underside of that car showy. :mrgreen:

Thanks again for any ideas or encouragement.
Cheers!
SubaruPaul
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:49 am

Definitely take the opportunity to check over the hand brake function & adjustment.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Not sure what you mean by the inner rear axle. If you're talking about the axle between the donuts, I have never seen that happen. If you are talking about the diff output shaft, I have seen those twist or break. If so, rather than ordering the standard CV axle kit, you might want to consider the one that begins with new stronger output shafts for the differential and does away with the 3 eared diff output shafts altogether. Good luck.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SubaruPaul » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Frank Howard wrote:Not sure what you mean by the inner rear axle. If you're talking about the axle between the donuts, I have never seen that happen. If you are talking about the diff output shaft, I have seen those twist or break. If so, rather than ordering the standard CV axle kit, you might want to consider the one that begins with new stronger output shafts for the differential and does away with the 3 eared diff output shafts altogether. Good luck.

Not to offend Frank , but we're a few steps ahead of you. By "inner shaft" I mean the one that goes into the differential. I call them stub axles.

Check my other post if you can for all the rear diff. and NEW CV axle details.

Handbrake check - Check!! :wink:
Cheers!
SubaruPaul
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 am

Does the car already have a diff brace? if not add one.

Cut an access hole in the boot so that the diff can be easily filled

Also check the damper top mounting "lotacones"

Are the wishbones straight?

... This is clearly only minor work on an elan as most while I'm at it's end with engine out body off!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SubaruPaul » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:18 pm

That access port has already been on the mind of the owner. A local Elan owner has installed a marine type access port for the diff. I think we're going to cut a 4 inch hole with a hole saw or fly cutter , whatever I have that works. Pretty sure its a Beckson - made here in Bridgeport CT. Black plastic with clear door.

Can you or someone post a pic of that brace? Something happened once upon a time where it appears an axle grenaded and caused some damage. We'll be sure to check for straightness on the wishbones.

We're both away from the car for a week or so. Thanks and keep them coming. We'll be all over the car next week and thereafter untill its ....

....my turn to drive ! yeeehaaaa !
Cheers!
SubaruPaul
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Diff Brace here

elan-f14/differential-brace-t16852.html

although the diagram is quite difficult to read - Does anyone have the original? can it be put in the library section?

Thanks,

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 am

AHM wrote:Diff Brace here

elan-f14/differential-brace-t16852.html

although the diagram is quite difficult to read - Does anyone have the original? can it be put in the library section?

Thanks,

Simon

Paul, if you need one Ray has them on his site for $72. Click on Elan parts and scroll about half way down.

http://rdent.com/

Differential Stiffening Bracket

Introduced by Lotus on the Elan Sprint, this part can be installed on any Elan or Plus 2. The brace connects the two differential mounting bolts and picks up one bolt on the differential housing, strengthening the overall assembly to prevent damage to the differential mounting "ears." Highly recommended for any Elan or Plus 2, whether equipped with rotoflex couplings or c-v rear axles.

Ref. 36R0033 $72.00
Attachments
Differential brace.jpg
Pic of Differential brace from Ray's site
Differential brace.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SubaruPaul » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Slowly getting back at it here.

Yes, the diff stiff is in place! Not coated as the one in the picture but looking good "raw".

Wishbones are out and going to be repainted. They look straight from first glance but neither of us gave them any serious eyeing up.

I would like to drop the suspension and check , clean , paint , and replace if needed any of those "lotacones". But we're going to stop short of dropping those down for now. If you were to - you'd compress the coil springs , yes? I'm hoping the owner changes his mind about that (hint Chris) and maybe we'll gather up a set of spring compressors and take those out for inspection and paint. But for now all is fairly decent with the exception of the left rear tire occassionally rubbing the body from a slightly bent damper base. That we believe happened from an axle going kaboom - when the previous owner had it. It also caused damage to the diff housing but we're able to live with that.

Going to let the owner post pics :lol: Nice clean car! No rust , and here in CT that's a minor miracle. Nice to go under a car and not have flakes of rust and crap falling perfectly between the safety glasses and your face and into your eye. Wish my cars were like that. :roll:
Cheers!
SubaruPaul
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: