Stuck Shaft?

PostPost by: S2Jay » Tue May 03, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi to all,

Ok, back on task to dismantle the gearbox. With the extension housing removed, the Workshop Manual says to ??drive the countershaft towards the rear??. I am using a brass drift, but the shaft is not moving. My concern is how much force should be applied or required.

Am I being too gentle out of undue concern of damaging the shaft, ballooning the end or even damaging the gear case housing upon withdrawal. I believe that this box has never been apart since new, and it has been sitting, filled with gear oil, for near 20 years, although it was always garaged in California. Can anyone offer any guidance here? Would it be better to rig up some sort of puller / extractor to act as a press for this?

Jay
26 / 5009
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 pm

I've never had one badly stuck, but a couple seemed to want more force with the drift and hammer than I wanted to give, so I used a puller, after a couple of shots of PB Blaster. I did see one aftermarket shaft with no threaded hole for a puller, which leaves you little choice but to heat the case gently around the shaft holes and tap it out. Use a drift that is smaller than the shaft so you don't distort the corner of the shaft. If it takes lots of force, the shaft is rusted.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
2 Elans
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: