Lotus Elan

Braided clutch hose

PostPost by: Tonyw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I was going to buy a braided clutch hose from Ray at RD's but these are only for a L/H drive car, mine is a right hand drive thus the hoses that Ray has are to short, I gather Ray is willing to get a batch for R/H drive cars made but needs to know the actual length of the hose for a R/H car, given that my frame and body are still divorced could I please get one of you to measure the length required or if anyone has a new as yet not fitted hose perhaps measure that for me to pass onto Ray.

Thanks in advance.

By the Way RD's and SJ's have been giving me sensational service in recent times highly recommended (by me anyway)

Tonyw
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Location: Perth Australia

PostPost by: prloz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Tony,
Just measured an original early S3 clutch hose. Red nylon portion is 29 1/2" long.
There is a right-angle fitting at each end, both identical.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 31 Jul 2004

PostPost by: Tonyw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Peter,

Thanks, I will let Ray know and hopefully he can get a batch made up.

Tony
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Location: Perth Australia

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 am

I have a braided SS hose on my RHD car, but just fitted a high torque starter and now find the hose is too short to fit around it.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 am

Jim

I have a similar arrangement to you - braided clutch hose, RHD and high torque starter. My clutch hose runs over the top of the starter between engine and starter, I suspect your hose runs UNDER your starter, try re-routing it. There is a little slack, I did wonder when I fitted it if it was long enough because of the high torque starter but it seems OK. The engine has not run yet and I may need to slightly revise the run.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: S Bucks, UK

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:23 am

My Goodridge SS hose measures around 40" overall including the right angle fitting at either end and if anything it is slightly too long. I have it routed in front of the engine mount and under the starter and there is plenty of clearance everywhere.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Location: Dorset UK

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 am

lotusfan wrote:Jim

I have a similar arrangement to you - braided clutch hose, RHD and high torque starter. My clutch hose runs over the top of the starter between engine and starter, I suspect your hose runs UNDER your starter, try re-routing it. There is a little slack, I did wonder when I fitted it if it was long enough because of the high torque starter but it seems OK. The engine has not run yet and I may need to slightly revise the run.



Thanks Mike! I'll give that route a try!
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: prloz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 am

Hi Jim,
Clutch hose on your car should run over the clutch bell-housing, then down to clutch slave. Nowhere near the starter !
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 31 Jul 2004

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 am

prloz wrote:Hi Jim,
Clutch hose on your car should run over the clutch bell-housing, then down to clutch slave. Nowhere near the starter !
Regards,
Peter.



Really? I've never owned an Elan that had the hose routed that way, but it certainly sounds good. More protection from road debris as well.

I'm going to run some measurements first.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 am

summerinmaine wrote:
prloz wrote:Hi Jim,
Clutch hose on your car should run over the clutch bell-housing, then down to clutch slave. Nowhere near the starter !
Regards,
Peter.



Really? I've never owned an Elan that had the hose routed that way, but it certainly sounds good. More protection from road debris as well.

I'm going to run some measurements first.


Don't forget that the early routing over the bellhousing was with a cast iron exhaust manifold. With a fabricated steel manifold the pipe runs too close and the workshop manual recommended rerouting the pipe through a hole drilled in the chassis top flange. On later cars the line was rerouted under the bellhousing.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Location: Dorset UK

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm

oldelanman wrote:
summerinmaine wrote:
prloz wrote:Hi Jim,
Clutch hose on your car should run over the clutch bell-housing, then down to clutch slave. Nowhere near the starter !
Regards,
Peter.



Really? I've never owned an Elan that had the hose routed that way, but it certainly sounds good. More protection from road debris as well.

I'm going to run some measurements first.


Don't forget that the early routing over the bellhousing was with a cast iron exhaust manifold. With a fabricated steel manifold the pipe runs too close and the workshop manual recommended rerouting the pipe through a hole drilled in the chassis top flange. On later cars the line was rerouted under the bellhousing.



Yeah, mine is a 4-2-1 header, so I'll watch for that.

Worse come to worst, I'll see if some heat shielding will help. OTOH how much could a longer SS braided hose cost?
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

PostPost by: prloz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Jim,
You could do what Ford did on the Escort twin-cams. Run a pipe from the clutch slave, over the top of the bell-housing, secure the pipe with a couple of "p" clips using the top 2 bell-housing bolts, then complete the run to the clutch master with a short length of flexible hose. No problem with heat from the exhaust then.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 31 Jul 2004

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:52 am

I was out playing with the car and trying to take a few measurements, and it appears that my clutch hose is ~33" from bend to bend.

Does anyone know what the measurement would be for an over-the-bell-housing route to the slave? My best measurement suggested that the hose would be about 1" too short.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
User avatar
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Humboldt County, California

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests