pin in shift lever?

PostPost by: mini64 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 am

Is it just a normal spring pin going through the tang on the shift lever that gets bolted to the pivot extending out of the gearbox? The reason I ask it the whole in my shift lever is considerably bigger then the pin hole in the pivot, as though the pin would have a shoulder.
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm

mini64 wrote:Is it just a normal spring pin going through the tang on the shift lever that gets bolted to the pivot extending out of the gearbox? The reason I ask it the whole in my shift lever is considerably bigger then the pin hole in the pivot, as though the pin would have a shoulder.

My +2S has always had a standard roll pin in that location. In my case it has always been a light interference fit in the "tang" you refer to and a loose sliding fit in the selector lever. It is always a bit of a pain to remove and install the roll pin as you are working with a drift pin and hammer in cramped quarters and near the dash. My tip for installing the pin is to drift it into one side of the tang with the shift lever in a vise. Then when you assemble it to the selector lever you are not fiddling with two loose parts at the same time. You might have had a previous owner enlarge the diameter of the hole in the tang to make it easier to remove and fit the pin
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: