front hub shaft wear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi,

Can any one advise me on the amount of tolerable wear on the front hub shafts were the inner races run on the shaft. I know that the bearing is the main surface but I have noticed (on other cars) that when you look at the shafts there is some wear on the bottom side. It is were the outer and inner bearings (inner) races have shifted and have worn the area. Weight of car!

It is not as bad as some I have seen (and replaced) were you could run your finger nail against a lip. It appears to be about 1.0 to 1.5 thou less over all when using a vernier.

Will it manifest itself as play as the bearing has a larger gap on the shaft?

PS on a Plus 2S

Thanks Mike
:D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:52 am

The inner races should be a hand push fit onto the hub shaft with no resultant free play between the hub shaft and the bearing inner races. To loose a fit and the inner race spins wearing the shaft which has probably happened already. I suspect 1.5 thou inch wear is to much and the inner race will be to loose and will continue to spin. A suitable loctite could be used to mount the bearings for a road car (they probably get to hot in a race car for most loctite compounds) but removal then may become more of a challenge

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks Rohan,

I will get some new ones. I suppose it is likely that the inner races are also worn.

Thanks Mike :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: