Play in drive shaft/diff.

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:49 am

I can rotate my offside hub by about a quarter of an inch, maybe a bit more, measured at the perimeter of the brake disc, before taking up the "slack" at the diff. There`s no play in the (Miller CV) driveshafts so, effectively, the diff. output shaft on that side can be rotated slightly without turning anything. Is this what is called "backlash"? Is this unacceptable? What is the cure if it`s not?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Jim

I assume you got one wheel on the ground, hence fixed, and you're rocking the other one. If so try doing the same for the other side and you should find just the same effect.

I personally wouldn't have said this amount of backlash is excessive and if you're sure everything else is ok and the diff isn't excessivly noisy, I'd leave well alone. If I had the diff out of the car and on the bench then I might have a go at tightening things up a bit but I would go tearing things down just for this.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks Andy, I had both wheels off the car, and off the floor ! The nearside has no play at all. When I put the wheels back on the extra diameter exaggerated the extent of play to about 1" or more at the tyre edge.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm

I agree with Andy. There could be wear in the differential (Planet) gears thrust washers also. So it might not all be 'backlash'. Not enough for a stripdown..

Is it quiet? Does it make any 'clonks' here n there?

AB....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Again

Just to correct what I've written above. The last line should of course read "but I would not go tearing things down just for this."

Sorry about that
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:25 am

andyelan wrote:Hi Again

Just to correct what I've written above. The last line should of course read "but I would not go tearing things down just for this."

Sorry about that
Andy

Not a problem. But you should be able to edit your post, rather than having to add a separate "errata" sheet.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:28 pm

So.....how much "play" does anyone else have? and why only on one side?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Jim

I would think the diff on my car has about the same amount of play in it as you're talking about. I noticed it when I changed to the CV driveshafts 2 or 3 weeks ago but I didn't actually take any measurements or notice if there was any differance one side to the other. As far as I'm concerened it been working fine up to now so it will stay as it is.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: