fitting differential

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi Folks

Just started the long process of putting the car back together and to-day I put in the differential. read up the posts and it did go OK from the left hand side - nothing else in chassis yet then slid in the upper reinforcing strap and with the this in place added the final bolt in the diff flange that holds this place. then popped in the upper mounts and used one large washer as book ( and Sue Miller) suggest. while it all went fairly ok (I did put a lot of old jiffy bags around chassis parts so did not bash too much paint off) I notice that on tightening up the long bolts that go through the diff mount, reinforcing strap, and diff lug that there is a gap between the mounting lower rubber and the large washer. This is due to full metal to metal contact on the assembly. I can in fact get a feeler gauge of around 0.5mm in the gap ( see picture). Just wanted to check that this is OK or should the upper 3mm (1/8") washers have a larger hole so that the metal sleeve in the diff mount goes through thus allowing the diff mount rubber to be in compression. Not clear in the book if this is so.

anyone any experiences?

cheers

Bob
Attachments
DSCF0856.JPG and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:42 pm

HI BOB I HOPE YOU STILL HAVE THE BODY OFF,I SEEM TO THINK THAT THE TOP MOUNTING BOLT GOES THROUGH THE DIFF FIRST WITH THE NUT ON TOP OF THE RUBBER MOUNTING,TO ENABLE REPLACMENT WITHOUT REMOVAL OF THE FUEL TANK.THE WASHERS GO SMALL WASHER UNDER DIFF EAR[AS YOU HAVE IT] BIG WASHER[S] BETWEEN DIFF EAR AND UNDERSIDE OF BUSH AND LARGE WASHER ON TOP OF BUSH THEN NUT.
HOPE THIS HELPS REGARDS PHIL
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm with fill on the bolt coming up from the bottom. I would also use a larger diameter washer on the Alloy part of the diff housing 1 inch or 25 mm that is .062" 1.5mm thick to spread the load. as far as your question about the gap, don't worry about it thats just the way tha=ey are made. look at the photo of two used ones that are stacked.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:48 pm

thanks both

Have fitted the bolts the right way around now (forgot about the tank!) and changed the washers. I was not sure about the gap as I did wonder if the washers were the correct ones as I have found other things not quite as they should be during the strip down. Currently only part in the chassis is the diff so it was easy to swop over the bolts. timely reminder to read the book carefully!!

Thanks for help

cheers

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: