Clutch Alignment Tool and Transmission Query

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:26 am

I have the CAT that I had formerly used on my 65 S2, and am now almost done dismantling my 66 S2. So, I'll just use the tool when I pull the clutch to free the disc before reassembly. It's only a 10 minute job, and the tool IS mark "Early Elans" after all. Should be no problem, right? Ha Ha!

It appears that in my 65 the pilot shaft was 17mm just as it should be, but my 66 has the 15mm shaft, which most sources say didn't come into use until 67. Just goes to confirm that with Lotus transmissions, there is little that can be predicted. So, just for curiosities sake, is there any way to tell from the casting numbers and the like what kind of gearbox/ratios are in my "box of chocolates?"

BTW it's only a 2mm difference, so I'll probably just turn down the shaft, as the splines are "supposed" to be the same. :lol: Or, I'll just put that part back together without fiddling, as the heat cycle trick has always worked to free up my clutches.

BTW anyone know what range of pad thickness I should look for in order to make sense in not changing to a new clutch disk?
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Jim

Date codes are on the gear case, tailshaft housing, bellhousing along with the casting numbers. Date code are talked about in this thread. the following is talking mostly about engines, but all casting have date codes.

elan-f14/engine-number-location-t16005.html

My guess is that your gearbox has been swapped. to figure out the ratios, mark the input and output shafts with a piece of tape or a tie wrap and put the box in 1st gear. spin the input shaft and cout the number of turns it takes to spin the output shaft once. 2.5 turns (ultra-close) 3 turns (semi-close) 3.5 turns (wide) to one turn of the output shaft.

Don't turn the input shaft down GET the right bushing.

Please help me help you...
Attachments
dave Bean pilot bushs.jpg and
Dave bean catalog, GET ONE you need it. EVERYONE needs a copy of this and the PARTS manual and the WORKSHOP manual
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks Gary!

I was probably a bit unclear; I meant to say that I might turn down the shaft portion of the CAT. It looks to be made of the same material as a bowling ball (some sort of phenolic plastic or something).

Then again, another tool probably wouldn't be too much, and I could pass this one along to someone who needs it.

BTW I've always been a bit curious about the clutch adhesion issue. Is this common to other cars? I've only ever experienced it with my two Elans; never on my A-H 100 nor my two Morgan Plus 4s. If it's Elan specific, why (other than the fact that everyone seems to have had at least one long "rest" with their Elans)?

And I agree about the DBE catalog. It was my first stop for info, and the source for my understanding that the only certain thing about the transmission in the Elan is that there is no certain thing until you've checked each one out individually.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 am

I checked the ratios and the trans is indeed a semi-close box. Haven't tried yet to decipher the date codes though.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: