Rear end "Jingling"

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 am

I think I've always had it but not sure,with the increase of pot-holes and generally crappy road surfaces whilst driving alongside walls etc can hear an echo of "jingling"from the rear end as the suspension does its stuff....is it the hand brake mechanism/tree?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 am

Can you be a bit more specific?
e.g. "The Hands that do dishes can be soft as your Face"------ or "You'll wonder where the Yellow went when you brush your Teeth with Pepsodent" :roll:

Do you have small Dia. rear Springs that could be rubbing on the Damper? (Squeak)
Are the Damper upper Shrouds (if fitted) slowly disintegrating? (rattling Tin Can)

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:18 pm

John

It's more like a Salvation Army tambourine after a good night in the pub........hard to describe the sound...like a handful of bangles being shaken....very light sound....just thought it was the handbrake linkages...yes,have small diameter springs..no squeaking...plastic shrouds...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm

I've had a similar problem with my S4 ever since it's complete rebuild, it's a clunky sort of sound that is very apparent when driving over those bloody stupid "slow down" strips when approching Roundabouts etc.
Initially I thought it was the Hood frame rattling around (I keep the Hood separately in the Boot), however when I did at last put the Hood up one Day the bloomin' noise was still there.
I've searched all around underneath the back of the Car & found absolutely nothing.

My cure:- "Sod it" :lol:

Cheers
John

Note to myself:- I haven't tried taking everything out of the Boot, must give that a go!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:40 pm

You'd think you wouldn't be able to hear anything over the sound of the exhaust or wind noise but lots of sounds do make their way through if you're sensitive to them. Last year I spent ages tracking down a tapping noise from the rear that was the brake pad retaining pins moving around.
I can hear bits of handbrake rattling around - usually just for a brief instant when hitting a pothole or something that jars the rear. I'm not sure I'd describe it as like a Salvatian Army tambourine though and it's more noticeable as the mechanism gets out of adjustment as all the slop in the various pivots comes into play. How's your handbrake working?

(I'm currently trying to identify a heavy clonking noise that only happens when the left rear is loaded (ie right hand bends))
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks

I suppose until the overhaul is finished I'll have to put it down to all the handbrake linkage when not under tension...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone,
i think i have the answer to the rattle. It's the alloy spacers that slide over the piston rod of the rear shock absorbers. To check when driving and you hear the rattle apply the handbrake. If the rattle continues for sure it's not the handbrake.
Alan.B
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi John

what is the possibility of one, or more, small stones or grit got into the silencer or rear exhaust pipe?
had that happen on the seven once. Cured it when the exhaust system was changed tapping exhaust gently with a hide mallet might provoke the sound perhaps.

hope this helps

best of luck

bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:07 pm

i had a jingling once.....
had a donut go so replaced the one which had gone and the matching one on the oposite side....
I forgot to take one of the steel bands off.......it had worked itslef loose after about 10 miles and was just jingling up and down the drive shaft....
needless to say it took about 2 mins to get off once I remembered Id left it on...doh!!!

:oops:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi, my money is on a loose baffle in the rear silencer. Give the silencer a bash and listen for the rattle.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Could be anything..Any one of those options could be the reason. But...The handbrakes do rattle if they are a bit worn here n there.

You will find it.

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Jason

Wrong...silencer is a home-made straight through affair with s/s pan scrubs to absorb a little of the noise..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:44 am

Jason

Wrong...silencer is a home-made straight through affair with s/s pan scrubs to absorb a little of the noise..

John

Dam!! I'll go along with the crowd then and put my money on the handbrake tree. :D
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Option 1.

Take everything out of the Boot.
Test Drive:
Noise still there?
Yes!
Jam small Child into Boot.
Test Drive:
Noise still there or not audible due to silly screams made by Child?
Yes!
Give Child large Ice Cream & 1/2 Hour to calm down & then interrogate

Option 2.

Buy that Endoscope tomorrow.
Drill Holes in Boot
Point shiny new Toy at Suspect Nr. 1; 2; 3 etc. & film whilst driving.

I think that Option 1. will be the simplest & cheapest method depending on how big the bribe will be to stop said Child from spouting to it's Mother :lol: :lol: :lol:
Option 2.? Well you will have satisfied yourself that the money was well spent :wink:

Cheers
John

John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John... What are you like!

AB.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear