Gearbox mount

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

bcmc33 wrote:I've always recommended tack welding nuts on a bare chassis engine mounting brackets, but I see the benefits of rivnuts. M8 is an equivalent to 5/16" UNF, so I guess I shall go this route as the engine is out. And probably on the next gearbox mount.

elanmac wrote:One of the trade names for the rivnuts is Bollof and they are available with a shallow countersunk head.

B?llhoff in Bielefeld was a supplier to me in a previous lifetime - from memory the most impressive thing I remember was the manufacture of Helicoils.

I've just checked out their Website & they don't appear to have "Sets" for us little 'uns.
Shame it would have been nice to have a supplier a bit more "local" to me.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Alex, John et al.

The Tool worked fine for M8 steel rivnuts. Inside the tool is a proper thrust bearing so that the turning force is not "wasted" in friction. The end fitting is hardened steel with a radial "knurl" that grips the head of the rivnut and stops it turning. Impressive quality tool and made in Britain.

For M8 & M10, it says to use a spanner on the end of the tool (not just the knurled gold wheel) and this worked perfectly.

I bought M8 & M6 kits. Later M4. Speak to the seller, very helpful

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: