CV Driveshafts

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Has anyone got Mick Miller or similar driveshafts fitted? Any niggles or accolades? I have some in my +2 and so far ok but the increased driveshaft angle on the "baby" worries a friend who is contemplating these, cheers, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:58 pm

John

slightly off topic ,but,I have Performance Unlimited double U/Js on my Plus2 and you have to have the grease-nipples in the right orientation or they catch at full droop...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi John P C, I had those in my +2 when I bought it but they had a bit of wear in the splines so then went to cv's; did yours have grease nipples for the splines as well as the UJ's?
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Nope,but have fitted rubber boots over the splines and U/Js and grease them anually

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: enskr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Yup, I've got a pair on my S4 road car and they have been excellent.
Apart from anything else I have just stopped listening for the dreaded doughnut "death clunk" and they have increased my confidence in its reliability, and subsequently I use and enjoy the car more.
Hard to think of a better upgrade for a standard road car - if I bought another Elan tomorrow I would install a pair immediately - fit, forget and enjoy!

Kevin
1970 S4 DHC
enskr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Kevin, did you need to limit the downwards travel of the suspension or just bolt on and forget? cheers, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm

I agree with "Cleggy" & Kevin.

I fitted TTR UJ/Sliding Spline Shafts to my S4 during it's rebuild. There are Grease Nipples on both UJ's & the Sliding Spline.
If CV Shafts were available at the time I'd have chosen them due to the reduced maintainance.
I use general purpose Bearing grease in the UJ's & CV Joint grease for the Splines.
They get a squirt any time I'm under the Car or at least annually.
TTR's +2 Shafts have a Rubber Boot fitted. The Elan Shafts are too short to permit that.
I've not encountered any problems with these shafts on my Car.
My Car is not used for Competitions.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: enskr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:25 pm

John
I haven't done anything to limit suspension downward movement and haven't encountered any problems either - it really was case of "fit and forget". I forgot to say that mine are Mick Miller shafts, with a CV at each end.

Kevin
1970 S4 DHC
enskr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jkolb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

I have CVs. TTR has shortened Koni's to use with CVs or sliding joint driveshafts to limit travel. It is probably not critical on a road car that sees easy use, but you want to avoid getting the suspension in full rebound.

Jerry
64 26R clone
07 Exige S
jkolb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi,

I have TTR drive shafts and the Koni limited travel rear shocks and my wheels turn freely on full droop - its obviously quick and easy to check if there is a problem .

I would be worried about fitting CV's or the sliding spline type without limiting the travel.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 pm

The Mick Miller shafts are fit and forget. Mine have been on 4 years and are an excellent modification.

When the car is jacked up the angle is a bit acute but under normal driving conditions they are fine and drop limiters are not required.

You will find many owners have fitted these shafts and they have done many thousands of miles in all driving conditions.

I recommend them without hesitation
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks guys for all the comments so far, more comments are really appreciated, cheers, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 pm

John, I, too, have CVs fitted and although normal driving probably won't experience full droop, I worry when jacking the car up because at full droop, I've had (twice now) the boots pull out of their swedged fit, at the actual CV joint. I plan on limiting droop on mine for this reason. Granted, they were aftermarket boots and I found better quality in the VW boots, although that joint where the boot is swedged in, is really tight at full droop.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi All,
I fitted the Spyder items which as you may know have 1 rubber coupling each next to the diff. I bought these mainly on recomm's but they were also quite a lot cheaper. So far so good but I have only done around 3k mls with them up till now. Still in as new condition. I do hope they stay that way for a while. :shock:

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 pm

I also had 1 cv boot fail after a few hundred miles on the +2 but was not confident that jacking it up caused it. If it did then the problem on an S4 will be worse because of the sharper driveshaft angle. I jack it now supporting the wishbone to stop the possibility, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: