Lotus 5 speed gearbox

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Sarto,

I'm pretty sure my hole is about 1" left of center to the chassis, and the filler is left of center of the hole. If you put your hole about 2" left of center it should be OK. However, the height position is not so certain. I would drill a 1" hole using John's picture as a guide, then make the necessary adjustment.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:34 am

bcmc33 wrote:Sarto,
I would drill a 1" hole using John's picture as a guide, then make the necessary adjustment.

Sarto - I think you must be able to measure where to drill the hole fairly easily as I managed to drill a 1" hole right in line with the filler
bolt many years ago - too many to remember how I did it but it's too accurate to be a guess.

The 1" hole is just large enough to pass some plastic tubing right through into the diff once the plug is removed and the oil is then poured down the tubing. Worked ok for me back in the summer. A larger hole would make it easier as you could remove the plug through it but the 1" hole is less visible and easily filled with a wiring grommet.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dalek » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:17 am

john.p.clegg wrote:Brian (friend)

....I know,i spent lots of time,effort and money altering the Elite tail section (and moving the gear lever) to mimic the Ford tail section just to fail at the last hurdle....I couldn't stuff it into the frame box section!!!!!

John :wink:

Hi John

Can you post up a picture of your modifications please ?

I will be fitting an elite box to my Ford Anglia :shock: Boo Hiss ! :lol: in the coming months and would like to try and keep the origional gearstick position if possible. Is your modified rear tail section now surlus to your requirements :D

Kind Regards
Craig
Dalek
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:04 am

Craig
Sorry,didn't keep any ,I flung it as hard as I could,like a dummy from a pram....

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dalek » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Buggers :?

Looks like i will have to move the gearstick position then :cry:

Thanks fro your reply though :)
Dalek
New-tral

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am

david.g.chapman wrote:Now severely tempted - I might just go for it. The pool of oil in the chassis will help lubricate my jig-saw.....

Dave,

I've just bought a 73mm diameter Bosch cobalt steel cutter (from eBay) with the intension of cutting 2 holes adjacent to where the end of the propshaft and slip yoke meet. This should enable me to get both hands in to put the pair together, and then blank the holes with rubber bungs.

All I need to do now is make sure my dimensions are correct.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:45 am

...Go for it Brian.....You're adding lightness.......but not enough yet to affect your bump steer...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: