Fitting Starter ring gear

PostPost by: DaveAlmey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 pm

I thought this was going to be easy, but on reflection most of the restoration job has been an uphill battle for me.

Needed to replace the starter ring gear as it had a chipped tooth and the engine was in rebuild stage anyway so one was obtained from Sue Miller

Everything spotless, flywheel had been in the deep freezer for 10 days and the fan oven is on max (240C) ring gear cooked all afternoon (3 hours) and I was feeling very confident as out popped the flywheel quickly followed by the ring gear and it should just drop on! Wrong, not a hope of it slipping over.

Any experts on the subject any advice.

Thanks

Dave :cry:
Regards

Dave

Yes I know I cant spell, but can weld, spray paint, lay grp and rebuild engines.

69 S4SE DHC
DaveAlmey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:37 pm

I had the exactly same problem and melted the soles of my shoes after jumping up & down on it to try to get it to fit... :evil:

The solution was to use the oven grill instead of just the oven - the ring gear got hot enough to slip on nicely. This makes sense since it is very easy to burn food using the grill, but not so easy with the oven alone. :idea:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DaveAlmey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks Mathew,

Will try again, the proof will be in the pudding.

Thanks

Dave
Regards

Dave

Yes I know I cant spell, but can weld, spray paint, lay grp and rebuild engines.

69 S4SE DHC
DaveAlmey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:56 pm

I had one fitted last year. Believe it or not I took the flywheel and ring gear to Dovercourt Ford in Chelmsford and asked them to fit it. They did it for nothing during the day!

When you think about it, the job is so quick it sort of makes sense - a bit of light relief for the mechanics? I have always done well by turning up at the garage with the parts to be worked on and puppy dog eyes! 8)

Anyway, you might be lucky as well if you don't want to DIY. It will only cost you the minimum time unit in labour anyway, even if they charge.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgwitherell » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm

I heated the ring gear on the grill of a gas barbecue. Lifted it with two pair of tongs and it slipped onto the room temperature flywheel with no problem.. It was so loose it could actually rotated easily for a few seconds until it cooled down. I did not check the temperature but the thermometer never goes above 600F so I doubt it would get over the 1000F required to anneal the ring.
rgwitherell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Same here, though in the grille part of the oven for about half an hour prior to fitting. Flywheel was in the freezer for a couple of days. It fell straight on, no clouting required, and was tight inside 30 secs. Wife wasn't pleased though........
elans3
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 am

Ahh....the memories :D
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:48 am

I brought mine to a local parts place which also has a machine shop. They heated it with a welding torch and just placed on the flywheel and let it cool. Charged me maybe $10. Well worth it even if they only spent 5 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:29 pm

An old thread, but as I'm replacing mine thought a couple pictures might help others in the future to see the lip that requires the ring gear to he cut for removal.

IMG_20210724_132455.jpg and
flywheel lip

IMG_20210724_132534.jpg and
cut ring gear
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:17 pm

Well, that was unsuccessful. First attempt with ring gear heated to 400 and it was not going over the lip. I then popped the flywheel in the freezer over night and heated the ring gear to 550 today. Was able to get it partially over 1 side, but no amount of coaxing would get it over the entire lip... and it certainly wasn't slipping on as others have reported. I suspect I could get it to fit if hotter, but understand I'm already pushing it over 500.

I've read there are a few variants with very slightly different ids 10" and fractionally over - has anyone fitted a new ring over this flywheel that can advise on the right id and source?

IMG_20210725_115431.jpg and
Flywheel 105E-6380C
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:36 pm

10.048" should be the size / diameter of that flywheel. I don't think any Lotus used the 10.167" size that is available (to fit some late crossflows and pintos).

It usually takes two people to do the ring gears I've been involved in fitting - one to keep it in place while the other person hammers the gear on. And it's almost what I would call a brutalizing! They are not easy to do IF you don't want to take the ring gear beyond its safe heat limit.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:15 pm

promotor wrote:10.048" should be the size / diameter of that flywheel. I don't think any Lotus used the 10.167" size that is available (to fit some late crossflows and pintos).

It usually takes two people to do the ring gears I've been involved in fitting - one to keep it in place while the other person hammers the gear on. And it's almost what I would call a brutalizing! They are not easy to do IF you don't want to take the ring gear beyond its safe heat limit.

Thanks Alistair, it may be time to get it on the bbq and/or apply some gas to it, and a little more brute force (though I did give it a few good wacks with a mallet and brass drift after the 2x4 method didn't work).
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:06 pm

have your flywheel in the freezer overnight too
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks for the encouragement - found another use for my grill. It took getting it up a little over 700 and a vigorous beating with a brass punch, but it is finally over the lip and on! Made me hungry, though, and earned an adult beverage.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Well done, good result there!
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next