splines / anti sieze

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 am

When assembling splined drive shafts should I use a nickel or copper anti seize? Or other? Grease?

What is the accepted practice?

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 am

I presume you are talking about the sldiing spline drive shafts on the TTR 26R style conversion to replace the donuts.

Anti sieze is not a proper lubricant and should not be used on moving parts. It is intended to stop corrossion siezing non moving parts eg , nuts / bolts, fixed splines and hubs etc

A normal water resistant lithium soap EP grease is suitable for most sliding spline drive shafts. I do not know if TTR have any other recommendations for their units.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 am

rdssdi wrote:When assembling splined drive shafts should I use a nickel or copper anti seize? Or other? Grease?

What is the accepted practice?

Bob

TTR recommends the grease that's used in constant velocity joints so it's that which I pump into mine occasionally.
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm

TTR told me to use Moly grease in them, as that is what they put in on assembly. You can't mix apparently..
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Robbie693 wrote:TTR told me to use Moly grease in them, as that is what they put in on assembly. You can't mix apparently..

Same difference:- "Moly" grease / "CV joint" grease
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:51 pm

As usual knowledgeable answers. Thanks. The splines I require to grease are for a TVR and are the same as a TR-250 / TR-6. These do not have a zirk so whatever I apply at time of assembly will be all that the shaft will receive.

Unless there is a fitting I have missed.

The knowledge available on some other marque lists is suspect. I always return to the Lotus list for the right information.

Thank you all. Molly grease it is.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:17 am

rdssdi wrote:As usual knowledgeable answers. Thanks. The splines I require to grease are for a TVR and are the same as a TR-250 / TR-6. These do not have a zirk so whatever I apply at time of assembly will be all that the shaft will receive.

Unless there is a fitting I have missed.

The knowledge available on some other marque lists is suspect. I always return to the Lotus list for the right information.

Thank you all. Molly grease it is.

Bob

Aah you didn't mention TVR!
A bit of Blacksmith's sweat should do the job :lol:

Taxi!!!!
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:31 am

D.J.Pelly wrote:
Robbie693 wrote:TTR told me to use Moly grease in them, as that is what they put in on assembly. You can't mix apparently..

Same difference:- "Moly" grease / "CV joint" grease
John

Ah, learn something new everyday!

Thanks John

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: