Worn Crankshaft Spigot

PostPost by: rjaxe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:23 am

I have a 6 bolt crankshaft which has been successfully crack detected and has good big end and main journals. But the oil seal has worn a groove in the rear spigot which could therefore be a potential oil leak path. Does anyone know of a recovery process that can be applied to this type of defect? Metal spray/sleeving or ?.
Thanks
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 am

You could try a Speedi Sleeve over the end of the crankshaft rear seal journal or if it wasn't leaking, before put it back together without.

Gary

more info here

http://www.skf.com/files/100131.pdf - info
http://www.skf.com/files/344136.pdf - catalog
Last edited by garyeanderson on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 am

Yes metal spraying and grinding back to size or machining and press fitting a sleeve to being back to orginal diameter would be the 2 common repair methods you could use.

Spraying onto a cast iron substrate has some potential difficulties but an expert reclamation shop should be able to do it. A sleeve probably easier, cheaper and ultimately more reliable I suspect.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Thank you both for the speedy responses. I had not heard of these SKF sleeves before, they look to be the ideal solution. I see if I can source these in the UK.
Regards
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:01 am

You should be able to get speedi sleeves from any local bearing stockest. I've used them on a number of occasions and, although they are quite expencive, they are very very good. Of course they should be, they are specifically designed to sort out this type of problem.

The big advantage they have to my mind, is that the process is totally reversable. If somthing happens and you're not totally happy with the repair, you simply pull off the sleeve and start again with no harm done

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 pm

Quite right Andy, my local bearing stockist had heard of them and occasionally supplied them. He will need to order the sleeve but apparently gets next day delivery from SKF. Out of interest had you used these on the rear seal diameter on a 6 bolt twin cam crank shaft? Can you recall the SKF part number? As far as I know this diameter is 3.126" but I am unsure of the correct length.
Regards
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:27 am

rjaxe

Try http://www.skfmarcomms.co.uk/focus/speedi.htm or the links listed above by Gary. Here you can download all the info about speedi sleeves including fitting instructions.

I haven't used any as big as 3.125" but from the catalogue, I'd say you need somthing like a CR99307

One word of advice though, do read the fitting instructions carefully. Speedi sleeves are expensive and I recon you'll be paying at least ?30 for one this size. While this is obviously much cheaper than a new crank, you don't want to be knackering it during fitting

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: