Isuzu 5 speed

PostPost by: jabingb » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:44 pm

Waaaaay back when there was David Haydon, I believe in Australia, that put an Isuzu 5 speed in an Elan. Then Ray Edwards took up the challenge. I was in touch with Ray but now I can't locate him. Does anyone know either of these guys, their efforts and more importantly, how to contact them? Thx
Jerry Bassler, 67 DHC
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:33 pm

There are a few members in the NSW (Aust) chapter of CLA that have done conversions on elan using the Gemini/Isuzu 5 Sp gear box conversion, and I believe it is very successful. Visit the CLA link below, then click on the "join us" link for email contact details for President Anne Blackwood who will help you with contact details for relevant people.
http://www.clublotus.com.au/
Good Luck.
Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:17 am

Hi Jerry and Col

Jerry some time back I too had tried to hookup with Ray on his Izusu conversion but lost touch over time. As you know I have the same interest as you and would like to see if we can combine efforts. I had also made a connection in NZ with a shop which has done many types of conversions with ford 4 cly motors and I have included a link to his site. Might not hurt to get with him for more detail.
http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/about.php

Col if you could assist from your side of the world that might be very helpful and would welcome your input. I too would like to see this thing thru if we can. I have an Amigo box which from ruff measurements put the shifter in the same local. Also Col your copper piping looks good and keep us up to speed on how it continues to work for you.

Cheers from frozen but thawing Iowa
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:18 am

Hi Jerry and Col

Jerry some time back I too had tried to hookup with Ray on his Izusu conversion but lost touch over time. As you know I have the same interest as you and would like to see if we can combine efforts. I had also made a connection in NZ with a shop which has done many types of conversions with ford 4 cly motors and I have included a link to his site. Might not hurt to get with him for more detail.
http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/about.php

Col if you could assist from your side of the world that might be very helpful and would welcome your input. I too would like to see this thing thru if we can. I have an Amigo box which from ruff measurements put the shifter in the same local. Also Col your copper piping looks good and keep us up to speed on how it continues to work for you.

Cheers from frozen but thawing Iowa
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:42 am

Hi Mark.
It is a nice sunny 27C deg day here in OZ, the chap in Sydney NSW Aust who does the Isuzu gearbox conversions is Brian Sutton. Now I do not know his contact details, but I'm sure he could enlighten you all on how it is done. Apparently the gear lever ends up at the exact spot of the original ford box.
See contact details through CLA web site in previous post.

I certainly would not trade my ultra close ratio 4 spd box, but the fifth gear would really come in handy out on the freeway.
Cheers
Col.
Hope the snow thaws soon in Iowa.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:53 am

Brain Sutton is at briansutton at unwired dot com dot au

Other contact was Don Mace now retired who also did numerous conversions with much success
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:17 am

Thanks.
That should solve all the contact problems, I new there was someone else involved too, couldn't think of the name.
CC
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: johnc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi Mark,

Is your Amigo transmission a T5? The reason I ask is if you go to http://myisuzuparts.com/ and dial in the parameters for a 1988 to 2002 Amigo, parts catalog, clutch & transmission, manual transmission asm and case, 4x2, the resulting diagram appears to be a BW T5.

Also, I couldn't get your conversioncomp URL to hookup.
johnc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi John,

The Amigo is not a T-5 from what I can tell as the bell housing and case are one assembly. I can send you a photo of it sitting beside the stock box.

As for the link to NZshop it seems to work fine for me, so not sure what to tell you
Attachments
5speed4-1.jpg and
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Couple more photos of the same. Not sure why the focus is off?
Attachments
5speed1-1.jpg
5speed1-1.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:40 pm

sorry for many post but can't figure out how to stack photos.
Attachments
5speed5-1.jpg and
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:42 pm

last one
Attachments
5Speed3-1.jpg and
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: johnc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi Mark,
Your transmission certainly is not a T5, and indeed looks like the same one Ray Edwards was converting.

Also, my connection to Conversion Components is now working! I did a search on LotusElan.net and got a few hits, but no real confirmation that his Elan conversion fits without frame / console surgery. With forum discussion going back to at least 2003, I find it curious that there are no reports of anyone with his transmission conversion.

The transmission in his conversion http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/products.php?which=50&return=16 appears to be of the AX5 family manufactured by Aisin. According to the book "How To Rebuild and Modify Your Manual Transmission" by Robert Bowen the AX5 is a sweet transmission for conversions up to roughly 200 lb-ft of torque.
johnc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve71 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:08 am

Hi Jerry,

Are you in Australia? If so I know that my father has an adaptor plate to connect the isuzu box to the ford block. He may also have the mount for a saab eccentric slave cylinder for the clutch but I would have to check.
'71 Sprint DHC
steve71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:26 am

Steve71,
I'm in Northern California but work at a machine shop so the fabbing of an adapter plate might be fairly straight forward if I could get an idea of dimensions. A drawing would be superb.
Jerry

P.S. I am going to e-mail Brian Sutton and try that avenue as well.
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: