+2s gear stick

PostPost by: dhv571d » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1975 +2s 130 5 speed, and the gear lever has decided to part company with the gearbox.... The plastic threaded retaining cup has broken, does anybody know where I can get one?

Cheers....
dhv571d
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Many years ago, mine snapped at the circlip groove and I bought a replacement from Christopher Neil . It was costly.

I then found out that it was a standard Cortina part but I can't remember which model, sorry.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Aside from the usual suspects, saw one on ebay.co.uk last week. Can't spot it now, but they do come up.

Pretty sure it'll be the same as on the older Ford boxes.

Peter '73 +2S 130/5...I really need to spend less time here....
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:55 pm

I think they are mk3 cortina
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Mine broke about 20 years ago... a friend welded it back together somehow (had to fiddle a bit) for a case of beer. Was always careful after that. I could be very wrong but I thought there was a bit of Rover in there too.

The problem did produce one of my more unusual Lotus experiences. I'd moved to NY from CO and the day before my wife and father-in-law, following me, were to load the Elan in the moving van he broke the lever. You could change forward gears by pressing down; but, of course, reverse was a no-go. After the van & car got here I was leaving the narrow one-laned parking lot only to meet a very large truck coming the other way. We both stopped. He waved me back. I waved him back. He energetically motioned for me to go back. I reached down and lifted the gear lever up to the windshield. He saw he was beaten and backed up.
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Moral of the story.....

Always have a spare gear lever handy to wave at oncoming truck drivers!!!

:twisted:

Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: