5 speed

PostPost by: PeeVee » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:33 am

Thanks to those who replied to my other recent question. I'm new to the forum and I'm sure my questions have been addressed in the past. Anyway, I'm still looking for an Elan, (not a +2) - my friend had a new one in the '60's - but it seems to me it would go better with a 5 speed, especially on today's roads. I know about the ZF but is there anything cheaper, more common, non-intrusive, etc., that could be installed.
Thanks
Peter
PeeVee
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 am

Hi Peter,

Welcome.....!!!

I'd recommend the Lotus 5 Speed.

I have a +2 with the Lotus 5 speed. Definitely a MUST for longer journies.

Up to about a week ago I found it a bit imprecise/slow, but fine for me as I did not want to trash the car...it IS after all 34 years old!
There was also a bit of whine in 5th/OD.

Then I drained the gearbox oil, replaced it and added an Aussie treatment. Within a few days the box has become nearly a joy. Precise and much quicker and quieter (actually near silent) than before. Still not race quick!

I'll look up the name of the additive and post its name. 'Seems to act like the much heralded Redline.

If you're mounting it into a 4 speed Elan I think you need to change the propshaft too.
The 5 speeds pop upo on this forum from time to time.

I think Sue Miller may have them too.
You could also try Club Lotus for info.

Best of luck,
Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10 pm

Peter
In total agreement,and if you read/follow Victor Hollnagels tips and hints you can make the change much slicker....
I also have a slight whine in third and fifth,if you find out what the additive is I'd be happy to give it a go.......

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:12 am

Hi guys,

The additive is Pro-Ma MBL8.
It's from the US and has taken the scenic route, via Australia, to Ireland!

Can't say enough good things about it!

It's been in my gearbox and diff for about two weeks and has improved the gear changes and reduced mechanical noise very noticably.

If anyone's looking for it in Ireland, my local Classic Garage is the/an Agent.

Pro-Ma also a petrol additive which I'm going to try this weekend. (next tank fill).

(Am also going to post this as an individual post)

Take care,
Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: