speedometer cable hookup question

PostPost by: Chrisrich » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:02 am

My rebuilt speedo is still dead -- I probably have a bad cable. Can anyone tell me how tough it is to get to the connection by the gearbox? Do I have to have the car up off the ground?
1970 Elan S4 DHC 45/9780 1972 Triumph TR6
1958 Bugeye Sprite 1967 Triumph Trophy 650
1991 Ducati 900ss 1989 Honda GB500
Chrisrich
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:08 pm

I've never found a way to unhook the gearbox end of the cable without crawling under. The more room you have to work, the better off you'll be. It may take some strange contortions to loosen the threaded ring that holds the drive to the gearbox. If you're an extremely lucky sort of person, the ring will be only finger tight. If so, you should also buy many lottery tickets.

Be prepared with adjustable jaw pliers and other assorted grabbing tools. Expect profanity.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:05 pm

Once upon a time when my car was less precious (It's still not very precious!) I cut a hole about 4-5 inches across just by the speedo angle drive. Access is much easier but originality is compromised! I put the fibreglass I had cut out onto a slightly larger aluminium sheet with a rubber seal and screwed it back on.

Used it just the other day with a magentic pickup and a 7/16 on an extension.

Yes you'll need to be under the car with your rubber hand and needle nose mole grips.... but it can be done.

Good luck
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:36 am

I seem to remember the right angle drive between the gearbox and cable has a fiber gear inside with a small piece of flexible drive (metal) pushed into the middle of it, it so it probably would not take too much to strip the teeth of it if something jams?
Mine jammed a few years ago but I managed to get the end plate off, clean and regrease the inside and the fix it all back together again - It's still working after around 20+ years so I must have done something right..

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: