gearbox/bellhousing gasket

PostPost by: ttaunton » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Is the gasket that goes between the gearbox and the bellhousing necessary? There doesn't seem to be anything for it to seal.
It's just that I've put everything back together, put the engine and gearbox back in the car, and just found the gasket hanging on a nail in my workshop.
I'm hoping for good news...

Tony
(I'm trying to live forever, and so far it's going OK)
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Tony
I don't know how bad it will leak without a gasket but there is one of the bellhousing bolts that goes directly into the gearbox case (bottom right). I am sure that it will leak some, unless you don't put any gear lube in the gearbox. The three holes for the shift fork rails are above the full level of the gearbox and may only weep a little (relative term here) while driving.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ttaunton » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:05 pm

I pulled the engine and gearbox out on Sunday (hydraulic engine cranes make it a doddle) and separated the gearbox and bell housing. Sure enough, both bolts on that side go into tapped holes in the gearbox, poke a screwdriver in and it goes straight through into the box.
Thanks for the info Gary. Learn a bit every day.

Tony
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Tony,

When I installed this gasket, I recall that there was something preventing it from going straight on. I think part of the input shaft that was larger than the center hole in the gasket. As I did not want to remove the input shaft, starting at the center hole in the gasket, I cut a small slit, away from where the oil could get, and then slipped it over the shaft. Hope this helps.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: